Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Scott

Is there a be-all, end-all guide to correct Photoshop / Windows color spaces?

So, the color profiles on my computer are all sorts of screwed up. If I printscreen and paste into Photoshop, the colors are off (even if I'm printscreening Photoshop itself). If I save a JPEG out of Photoshop and view them in any other program (or on any other computer), the colors are off, which is a huge problem. Same with Lightroom exports--the photos end up with their blacks completely crushed.

I've calibrated my monitor. My working space is set to sRGB, and all my exports are sRGB. Proof colors are turned off. And no matter what I try, I just can't get things to be consistent.

What do I do? Is there a really good guide on what my settings should be to have everything always be consistent? I don't want my colors shifting, ever. And right now, not only are they shifting, they shift differently depending on each different way I could view or open them. I'm going insane.

Please, send help.

One possibility is that your monitor itself is set to a wider colour space than srgb.

I've had a similar situation as what you describe and that was the cause.

If that's the problem then the solution is to go into your monitors menu set it to sRGB usually this will exist as a preset, then recalibrate with a spyder or equivalent calibration tool and calibrate the monitor to sRGB.

Hope this helps.

I literally haven't heard of a single person I know getting a virus on their PC in the last...ten years? And all the trouble I'm having with color management on PCs, I've had equally on Macs. Color profiles function pretty much identically. This is hardly a Mac vs PC thing.

I have searched high and low for answers to this to no avail. Time and again i've come across the screenshot and or copy/pasting with colors going all weird. This is def not a PC/Mac thing, as I've had issues with this on both platforms.

PCs are too much work. You can't even sneeze around one or it'll get a virus. That is not living. :wacko:

I always laugh when I see stuff like this. I don't have any virus software on my computer or anything, I've been fine for years and years.

Hahaha was just poking fun as I know it's a touchy subject. That was the whole joke. I'm sure you guys keep those things locked down. I'm sure the configuration menus drill down way deep on your security compared to a mac. What can I say, I admit it. I'm stupid!

Yes, in terms of color management, macs have the same problem. I hate color management, and admit I prefer to turn it off to retain sanity. :D

What pains my brain is starting a project and realizing you are supposed to switch to Rec709 for an Avid workflow. Whoops.

And having to check interpretation of imported sources in AE. Realizing a source was incorrectly interpreted.

I hate animating. This is why I stick to design in photoshop. Life is good. :wub:

But is there a guide online? I simply don't have the vocabulary to find anything useful in a search engine.

I know its the second time I have recently plugged this book, but the first quarter is all about best practices of color management between software, OS, and hardware. I highly recommend this book for anyone trying to button up their color management.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321929667/ref=oh_details_o04_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An update on my own situation: after setting my monitor to sRGB (which wasn't the default mode) and recalibrating with an x-rite i1, it looks like things are finally all consistent. I never would have thought that I actually needed to change a monitor setting to get everything to work.

And I desperately want that book, but $50 is too rich for me right now.

Glad that solved it for you Aaron. For the record I had that issue on a Mac so it's def not a mac or PC thing. As far as I can understand it if your monitor is set to a wider gamut than sRGB you are viewing more colours than are in sRGB space, so when the image gets "downsampled " to sRGB it looks quite different. For the work I do which is usually delivered rec709, sRGB, or sometimes still NTSC it works well to leave my monitor set to sRGB since those colour spaces are quite similar and after effects does a good job of dealing with the color management between them as long as your monitor is set right.