Sign in to follow this  
dotcommer

Displacement maps in Octane Render (C4D)

I'm getting ready to plunge head-first into Octane Render. Just installed my Titan Black in my Mac Pro recently. I'm super excited, and have been reading up on it and watching a bunch of tutorials. One thing I'm noticing though is apparently no support for displacement maps? Is that still true? its been a while and I don't know what the latest version of Octane for C4D has feature-wise. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I'm not understanding the difference between the standalone version, and the integrated C4D plugin. The C4D plugin seems to have everything you need, and yet there's the standalone. Are there specific times when you would want to use one over the other? Is it possible to build up your scene, textures and all, in C4D, and then save out a version to open up in Octane? Does it convert C4D's textures when opened in the standalone version?

-Thanks

::EDIT::

Oh and does anyone have a suggestion or a tutorial on creating self-illuminating textures, and glowing materials with glow fall-off? I can't seem to find any resources on this specific effect for Octane in C4D.

Edited by dotcommer

Yes correct - Octane will support displacement maps in version 2.0 which is suppose to release this summer. It will also include motion blur, hair/fur, and render passes I think.

Here is the link: http://render.otoy.com/newsblog/?p=414

You should be able to do pretty much everything in the C4D plugin. The advantage to the standalone render is that it features node based materials. C4D does not. Some of C4D materials might not work either (layer, Mutli shader, etc.) so learning how to build Octane materials might take some time to get used too.

also im pretty sure you need to buy both. c4d pluging wont work without standalone (from their website).

also try out thea render. its pretty sweet too. and it has a non-GPU render as well. which is slower, but supports a lot more standard features.

I need to experiment with octane.

I can't decide which one to go for. the new octane update seems great, but its not out yet... maybe i'll wait till they release 2.0..

@voz yep you need both, the standalone provides the actual render engine whereas the plugin just gives you access to it through a nice easy gui.

@dotcommer self illuminating textures require:

1. a material which is diffuse (ie not specular or glossy)

2. an emissive texture channel enabled.

after that you can play with the float value to see what gets you the effect you need (hint: play with lower values to start with, because the brighter the texture the longer it takes to remove noise, plus it tends to blow the scene out fairly fast)

I have a question for those who use it -

I'm only using a single graphics card - do you guys notice any significant render speed gain with just one card? Or will you only see the benefits if your machine packs multiple cards? I'm using a single gtx 760

just download the demo and give it a try.

I know in the thea demo. the speed jump is crazy. Im using a 560 though. I heard with the 6 and 7 series they slowed down the CUDA performance... so maybe you wont see such a speed jump.

yeah I did try the demo out. I should've researched which graphics card was best suited for Octane when I was upgrading. I upgraded to the 760 thinking anything was better than what I originally had (1000 cuda cores > 100 right?) . While it's probably a bit faster, getting a clean image still takes a lot of time. The live update is fun though. The 560 seems to be hard to come by these days. And the titan might be a bit out of my price range at the moment. Oh well.

Another question about Octane: Does anyone know if its possible to convert C4D materials to Octane materials? It'd be nice if I could build up textures using C4D, so if Octane isn't available (like if a studio I'm working at doesn't have octane yet) I can fall back on the physical render.

Also, has anyone tried using GSG texture kit with Octane?

Thanks!

@dotcommer yeah there's a function to convert c4d materials to object materials. From the top menu go to Octane > Dialog window. From there you need to go Materials > Convert materials to Octane

Can anyone else comment on their experience with Octane in C4D so far? I'm looking at Octane and VRay for some interior arch vis stuff...

Love it, built a windows box as a workstation to take a over octane chores from the mac pro as vandalising the mac to get it running was not in my comfort zone. Once you get your head around it its surprisingly straightforward, one thing you don't get in the demo is the live database of materials which really helps you get started. Also I use mod as well, but now that there's a plugin for that, creating consistent renders across software becomes a lot easier. Fwiw I have two cards in the pc a gtx 780 and 660ti, i use the 660 ti for ui and the 780 to drive octane when previewing and both for rendering.

The other thing I like about Octane is their roadmaps is transparent, we know whats coming in v 2.0 including an After Effects plugin, displacement maps, object motion blur and better passes. Then there is the promise of cloud acceleration as well which could be very exciting.

^^ @jblessing some Nvidia cards have pretty good compatibility with mac under 10.8 and above. I just popped a GTX 770 4 GB into my hack.

And looks like Octane 2.0 is out: http://render.otoy.com/shop/

Edit: Nevermind, looks like the C4D plugin is still 1.x

Edit: I don't think I know what I'm talking about at all. Usually the case. Does the plugin have to be 2.0 also? I'm trying to figure out if this version supports hair or not.

Edited by Grundly

I'm planning on doing a tutorial on how to shove a titan into your mac pro down the road. It wasn't difficult at all really.

Grundly, I saw that Octane was updated, but wtf I have to pay for v2? I just bought v1 last month! I thought I would at least get 1 free upgrade to the next major release...

I've been looking around at how various people have done the Titan online. Doesn't look too hard...just curious about what route you took. Did you do an external power supply? Which one?

How about putting 2 titans in?

^^ @jblessing some Nvidia cards have pretty good compatibility with mac under 10.8 and above. I just popped a GTX 770 4 GB into my hack.

And looks like Octane 2.0 is out: http://render.otoy.com/shop/

Edit: Nevermind, looks like the C4D plugin is still 1.x

Edit: I don't think I know what I'm talking about at all. Usually the case. Does the plugin have to be 2.0 also? I'm trying to figure out if this version supports hair or not.

From what I read - the C4D plugin update hasn't been released yet. Suppose to maybe sometime later this month. But you need 2.0 to use the new features.

I decided to pass on Octane for now and wait to see what RedShift 3D has in store. They only support Maya and Softimage at the moment but said more compatibility is in the works for C4D. The price is even cheaper than Octane, and I'm reading very good things about it.

In the meantime I've realized going GPU based is going to requite a major overhaul on my rig - updating the motherboard and power supply on top of getting new video cards. :unsure:

For those looking at titans - check out the newly released (if you can find it) 6GB 780gtx. It's half the price of a Titan and supposed to be just as good if not better in terms of speed.