Sign in to follow this  
Sircharles

Swarm effect - I think.

Hi - Im looking to recreate an effect I saw someone do at work, but alas not sure the correct technique.

He was able to move a bunch of spheres with dynamics in a kind of swarm fashion - but then attract the swarm to an object such as a piece of type.

I think he said its a cluster or swarm effect, which you can manipulate to get the movement you like.

Its a plugin]

this make sense?

Graham

Don't think he used Tp, I think he animated the number of clones on, made them dynamic and moved them in a swarm somehow.

I don't believe it was along a path - as I have seen in some other tuts, because they move then move onto a type spline..

Could be anything from the Sticky Goo TP preset (which you can easily modify to behave similarly) to making dynamic objects follow static objects with the respective sim options to fully simulation based using forces with falloffs and invisible container geometry. Impossible to say without seeing an example. Either way, no point in getting wound up about matching his technique exactly and spending endless time researching it. Whatever works works and who will care once the result looks like what you were after?

Mylenium

Yes I agree, just my knowledge of options is a bit more limited than you guys. So I'd say the forces with fall-offs will prob do it.

Ya - sphere + dynamics + attractor - but I wasn't sure if you can then jump to a spline somehow.

Also the flow he got was a kind of swarm, he said he could control it using some kind of plugin, so I thought I'd ask here to see if it was an obvious answer.

cheers.

Again, the editable functionality you're talking about sounds a lot like X Particles. You can run your simulation and then manipulate the paths of the particles afterwards. Either that or some kind of baking plugin that adds the same functionality to a standard dynamics sim, but I'm not aware of anything like that - though that'd be pretty cool.

R

yeah after playing around with the dynamics and attractor, that seems like a massive pain.

so +1 go particles, that should work better.

I downloaded that plugin, allows you to move emitted objects in swarms - but I don't see how you can attract to Spline objects/Text objects. You can only use his built in attractors and Repellers.

This setup might be what you are looking for:

Cloner with your swarm object (random, shader wtv effect for turbulence)

Text / spline object

Matrix with mode set as Object > drag here the Text/Spline object

Inheritance effector on cloner object with target object set to the Matrix

Animate the strenght of the Inheritance effector