Sign in to follow this  
dotcommer

[C4D] Render ANIMATED 360˚ Panorama

I love google's photosphere. I love panoramas in general. Interactive ones especially. And I want to apply this to my CG renders as well. I can't seem to find a straight answer to this, so I thought I'd ask here:

I want to have an animated scene, and render out a video in a rectalinear format (an unwrapped 360˚ image) like the example here: 360render.jpg

Does anyone know of a way to do this? C4D supports QTVR, but that renders just one frame that you can pan around. I'm looking to export out a full animation and have the ability to pan around the scene while its animating. Finding a hosting site for this will be a whole other issue, but i'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I like to render with Octane, so if any folks out there have experience with octane and know of a way to render out what I'm looking for through Octane that'd be awesome.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Edited by dotcommer

Looks like you'd need to do a fair bit of post work to make this happen. As a starting point, I think you'd need to make a scene as normal, but build a multicamera rig with wide enough lenses to capture the scene. Maybe 2 cameras? - one for the top of the projection and the other for the bottom. You could comp these sequence into one image sequence in AE. After that, you could find a probe to rectilinear PS script then run that over your comped image sequences. Maybe?

In terms of panning the scene, you need to look into either webgl or unity off the top of my head, presuming this is for web use. If it's for an installation then obviously things can get a bit more bespoke/complex.

I know that you said C4D, however Arnold In Maya/Xsi lets you render out images with spherical lenses like this

I do remember something in Vray for maya as well, perhaps its in the C4D version as well

Thought i'd return with some stuff i've learned since I had started this thread.

I ended up going with Octane Render, and there is a handy option in the Octane render camera to switch from a normal lens to a "Panoramic" lens. Essentially wherever your camera is in the scene, you get a rectilinear image of your entire scene from that. I made a test render, and then uploaded it to Google Photosphere. It works out quite well (although Photosphere seems to do some strange and unnecessary warping of the image as you get close to the poles).

Take a look!

https://plus.google.com/photos/116410337047875511374/albums/6051570791814952513/6051570472315053042?hl=en_US&authkey=CNPAhoPAqeyopgE&pid=6051570472315053042&oid=116410337047875511374

So, this is pretty cool. And if I want, I can even render out an animated scene as an image sequence, compress that into a movie and upload it to a site that hosts 360 panorama videos. At the moment I'm trying to get into a private beta of Kolor's 360 pano viewer/hosting.

The end goal here is to be able to create a looping 3D scene with interesting elements happening all around, and the viewer gets to check out whatever they want. Interactive story-telling.

If anyone has any questions for me about this, please let me know! I would love to talk more about this process. I'll update again once I get a reliable way to host 360 panoramic videos going.

Looks very interesting, definitely keep posting with your progress :)

Not Octane specific but couldn't you just stick a sphere in the middle of your scene with 100% reflection and bake that, then it do the C4D probe conversion (in Picture Viewer) to create a rectilinear image?

Edited by simonfarussell

An update on this:

I've worked with Kolor and joined their private beta for 360 video hosting. Its very rough, but it gets the job done for the moment. Here's the quick example I uploaded to their site:
http://eyes.kolor.com/en/v/cd6f0af61db7a4476410aedef9f1965e

Some features i've asked for are looping, adjusting drag sensitivity, default heading when you first load the pano, and better streaming (as you'll notice, streaming seems to start and stop, with no wait-time for buffering).

The process so far to get this has been to set up your scene with a spherical camera (look above for a suggestion on how to do that within C4D natively) or render with the "Panoramic" lens option turned on in the Octane Renderer camera settings. Render out an image sequence that is a rectilinear and a 2:1 aspect ratio (e.g. 6000x3000), then compile that image sequence into a movie with a codec of your choice (or whatever settings the hosting site you're uploading to requires).

There's no support for 3D sound yet unfortunately, but I think it might be coming. Maybe another site has that working already. I also came across 360Cities.com but have yet to try them out.

I also tried this out with google cardboard and it was pretty cool. It worked fairly well.

1sec. 3000x1500 comes ProRes file ends up being around 10MB for me. That size shrinks down to a couple hundred kilobytes once I compress it to an H264 MP4 file (which Kolor requires). The link above is about 13sec. and came out to 113MB. I tend to export TGA or PNG image sequences, and then run them through MPEG streamclip and convert them to whatever video format I need.

Anyone who's following this thread and lives in SF or the bay area, there's a cool thing happening at Mozilla (located along the Embarcadero) showcasing VR cinema. Its a meetup and this saturday is their second one ever. While its booked up now, if you follow the link, you'll see "upcoming events" and will be able to sign up for the one in march. I'm linking the most recent one so you can see a sample of what they have to show. I'll report back after I check it out for anyone curious about it. Take a look!

http://www.meetup.com/VR-Cinema/events/215209772/

And another one I came across which is supposed to be a much bigger show:

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/upload-virtual-reality-world-tour-kickoff-tickets-14703443395?aff=eac2

Edited by dotcommer

The best solution I have found for hosting 360 video content is Kolor. They were in a private beta period, but it seems they've opened up to the public. Follow this link and sign up with an account: http://eyes.kolor.com/ Then return to this same link and under your username, choose "upload video". This is shareable via g+, facebook, twitter, etc. Pretty useful, although their compression they add on is quite brutal at the moment, so don't expect crystal clear experiences. Its enough to get the idea across though.

Just a quick update on all of this. I've received many emails about creating 360 content so I think i'll create a tutorial on the basics and how to connect all the pieces together. Post any specific questions you have regarding this medium and i'll try to address them in this first general tutorial. Thanks!

Thanks all. @dotcommer I'd love to hear more about stereo sbs outputs from cinema and getting that into Gear VR.

My goal is to render basics in C4D, add supers in AE, and share content online in formats that work for Gear VR.

I'm particularly interested in utilizing Octane/Orbx further as i've also got a license and 2x 980Ti's.

New to VR (as we all are), but experienced in 3D and AE.

Would love to chat if you've got the time!

YouTube recently added support for 360 videos. Works great with Google Cardboard VR viewers as well as the latest versions of Chrome and Firefox. You have to convert your render (add the correct metadata) for YouTube to recognize it as 360 video. Fortunately, they have created a nice free applet for Mac/PCs that can do the conversion for you:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6178631?hl=en

I've also been reading C4D tutorials that using Vray as the renderer and changing the camera to spherical wiill let you render out an animated 360 video:

http://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/3d-panorama-tutorial-1-spherical-camera/

Might also want to check out this plugin for After Effects:

http://www.mettle.com/product/skybox/

YouTube recently added support for 360 videos. Works great with Google Cardboard VR viewers as well as the latest versions of Chrome and Firefox. You have to convert your render (add the correct metadata) for YouTube to recognize it as 360 video. Fortunately, they have created a nice free applet for Mac/PCs that can do the conversion for you:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6178631?hl=en

I've also been reading C4D tutorials that using Vray as the renderer and changing the camera to spherical wiill let you render out an animated 360 video:

http://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/3d-panorama-tutorial-1-spherical-camera/

Might also want to check out this plugin for After Effects:

http://www.mettle.com/product/skybox/

So, funny thing: I now work with the Google Spotlight Stories team (I've been with them for a couple years now. But when I had first started this thread, I was still freelancing). If you're not familiar with Spotlight Stories, go download it from the android or app store! They're 360˚ immersive short stories that you use your phone like a window into the environment and can look all around you. Our team will now be partnering with Youtube, and handling the 360 side of it. This allows us to develop new formats for spherical content, UI/UX, and a critical component that has been lacking in 360 videos: 3D sound, among a massive audience who has to do nothing more than open a browser. We'll effectively be setting the standard for VR content. I am currently helping develop tools and methods for working in 360 content and publishing it to Youtube 360. There are some awesome things on the horizon, and we'll start seeing an explosion of new content once the flagship HMDs launch (Vive and Oculus).

For any of you who have experience working with VR content, please email me your concerns, questions, and wishes for dealing with this medium. I'm very interested to hear what others are doing in this space, and how I may be able to help address some of the issues in the future.

Edited by dotcommer

I put together a quick walkthrough for hacking a spherical camera in Cinema4D with native tools.

Check it out here:

https://sbowes.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/360o-vr-animation-with-cinema-4d/

Started playing with SkyBox for AE as well. The developers over there are super nice, and are about to release an update that is quite a bit more powerful. Looks quite promising! Will post an update about that once I get a little further into it.

I hope somebody finds this helpful!

Nice, Sean! The bake texture tag is definitely the best option, although it has its issues (namely can't render alphas or positional passes), but definitely a solid option for experimenting with 360 content without dropping money on Octane or Vray.