Sign in to follow this  
dotcommer

[C4D] Render ANIMATED 360˚ Panorama

Really great tutorial, Sean! I don't have Octane or Vray so this currently the only option I have to render out 360 animations out of C4D. I have been a bit obsessed with virtual reality ever since I got a Google Cardboard viewer that I use with my iPhone. I am really interested in creating C4D animations that I can view with Google Cardboard (and eventually other VR headsets like Oculus Rift)

Any thoughts on how to get a stereoscopic 3D output of this 360 degree render? Since your method is rendering out a Baked texture, the Steereoscopic camera in the C4D render settings can't be used.

My first guess on how to fix this is to have 2 spheres instead of one (for left and right eye). Turn Sphere 2 off, bake the texture of the Sphere 1. Turn Sphere 1 off, bake texture of Sphere 2. Then take those two image sequences and create a stereo image using something like the the '3D Glasses' plugin that comes with After Effects. Then rendering that out of AE as an MP4. I THINK that would work.

Sean - If you ever update your camera rig to include 3D stereo, I would be very interested in that. YouTube also announced that they will soon be offering support for stereoscopic 360 videos. I'm sure Vimeo will be supporting that soon too. All of the current 360 videos on YouTube (and other sites) do not work with Cardboard I plan on creating 360 stereo 60fps C4D animations!

Cool idea! that was my initial thought as well, but you run into problems when you turn the view left or right because the spheres are now one behind the other instead of beside eachother. Still, you've got me interested! There are definite workarounds using multi cam methods and stitching vs the shiny sphere method I outlined. Definitely on my list of things to add / create for this new realm of video, whichever way ends up working

Now that you mention a "multi-cam" method, I've been reading up on the new Google Jump VR system and the GoPro Odyssey that was announced earlier this week: http://gopro.com/odyssey

I suppose we could build a virtual (pun intended) version of that camera rig in C4D, matching the camera/lens settings of whatever that GoPro rig is using, render out all the cameras, then upload those renders to the same Google service/software (I believe it's called the JUMP Assembler) that a GoPro Odysessy user would upload their videos to. (their software will stitch together all the camera angles together nicely, using fancy Google algorthims, etc) The rig shoots in stereoscopic 3D, too. Just not sure if anyone can just upload their videos to this system via a website or if you need to purchase some proprietary software. Any 3rd party panorama video stitching software would work, but I don't know others that can stich a stereo 3D video.

In general, think a C4D multi-cam/stitching method is preferable since the "Baked Texture on a tiny circle" method is kinda awkward.

Edited by jake_mathew

Yeah, I watched that YouTube video too. I actually chatted with the author of that video and he thinks he has figured out a way to do stereo 3D 360. He was going to create an updated tutorial once he figures it out.

I still think a C4D multi-cam rig is a better route to persue instead of Texture Baking. Maybe (hopefully) Maxon will come out with a VR 360 camera in the next release.

Ever heard of the plugin DeGamma? Sounds like its the first C4D plugin that can do stereo 3D 360. Their website is down at the moment so I haven't tried out the plugin myself, but here is a thread discussing the same issues we are discussing. (and a developer for the DeGamma plugin also chimes in on the thread):

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=47&t=1192810&page=1&pp=15

Sounds like a very useful piece of software. I'll have to look into this more, but from the trailer, not sure if this software will still help the issues of exporting stereo 3D 360 degree animations from C4D.

It does sound like it will make doing post-work/compositing in After Effects much easier, though.

Thought I'd post this here. This is a team that wants to send a 360 cam to the ISS to capture immersive views that Astronauts see. It sounds awesome to me, and I've backed it. They're almost at their goal! If you're interested, now would be the time!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1035872323/spacevr-step-into-space

In case you didn't see it, that guy from Story2Pixel has created a new C4D tutorial on how to render out a STEROSCOPIC 3D 360 using C4D's built-in tools. (as well as some Python script you add to C4D to navigate his custom-made stereo VR rig) It's a long tutorial, but it's definite progress. He also supplies a C4D template file. I'm going to play with it right now:

http://lesterbanks.com/2015/10/stereoscopic-spherical-vr-camera-cinema-4d/

Yeah I saw it the other day. Almost fell asleep a couple times. Its extremely long-winded, and very complicated. Honestly, i'd just move to VRAY or Octane at this point. There you'll have a one-click solution for stereoscopic rendering. Otherwise, we'll need to wait for Maxon to realize it should update its cameras (which might take a decade given their history of adding useful or much-needed features).

Trust me, if my Mac/graphics card was compatible with Octane, I would have gotten that instead of trying to find a work-around. I'll eventually get a new workstation in a year or two, but was hoping on finding a C4D solution that I could use now with my current setup.

I think next year, if Oculus and the other VR companies do well, more and more VR content will be created and Maxon will want to offer a native VR camera for R18. (wishful thiinking)

I came up with a way of creating a 360 out of C4D by rendering a cube map, and then warping the faces into a latlong in AE using a UV texture pass of the inside of a sphere and retexturing the inside of it with the six faces using a plugin from AEscripts that retextures geometry with a UV texture pass. Thats been my best solution so far, aside from just rendering straight out of Octane.

The downside is I had to render the UV texture pass of the sphere in maya, because I couldn't render it out of C4D natively (because of the lack of no 360 camera). I could also render it out of Octane, but then that would defeat the purpose.

Edited by dotcommer

Unfortunately, as an iPhone user, most of the Google Cardboard and Youtube 360 features haven't made it's way to iOS. On an iPhone, I still can't even view mono 360 videos on the YouTube app, let alone stereoscopic.

Unfortunately, as an iPhone user, most of the Google Cardboard and Youtube 360 features haven't made it's way to iOS. On an iPhone, I still can't even view mono 360 videos on the YouTube app, let alone stereoscopic.

I don't believe thats true. Check your version of youtube on your iPhone. Either that, or if you have something older than an iPhone 5s that might also be a possible reason you're not seeing that content.

I have an iPhone 6 and the latest version of the YouTube app. (10.43 that was released last week)

I do have the ability to view all 360 degree videos by moving my phone around or moving the camera with my finger. But Android users have hands Google cardboard icon on their videos where it can create a side-by-side picture, which is necessary for Google cardboard.

Yup, I have that app. And the iOS version of the app is missing several features that the Android app has.

On youtubes official FAQ page, they state that only Android phones will have a cardboard icon in their YouTube app