Sign in to follow this  
Spence

Duik expressions slowing down AE CC

I've been using DUIK 14's animation expression panel quite a bit recently with AE CC and I've been noticing a huge amount of slowdown whenever I parent one layer to another that has one of the DUIK expressions applied to it.

It's almost as if it's doing some heavy math on every frame instead of just where keyframes are present.

I'm not sure if this is the fault of AE or of DUIK, but I don't remember this happening with prior versions (of both AE and of DUIK).

Has anyone else encountered the same problem?

Spence,

Same here. If you take a look at the expressions and such going on with any of the tools in Duik 14, you'll see that there is a _helluva_ lot going on behind the scenes. The speed hit is kind of a drag, but overall I'm still really digging this guy's stuff.

In awe of it actually.

Good to know I'm not the only one.

On a potentially related note. I'm finding that I have to constantly clear my cache or else AE's menus and shortcuts slow to a halt.

I know this used to be an issue with prior versions, but I'm fully up to date. It could potentially be related to duik as I haven't run into it with other recent projects that haven't been using it.

We're in the midst of making a lot of performance improvements related to expressions and caching (and where the two collide). You can see a description of one of these changes in the notes for the upcoming release:

http://bit.ly/AE_CC_next_details

There are other fixes that will more likely make it into the release after that, later this year.

In a nutshell, the system that is used to determine whether the cache is valid or invalid at each frame is slow when evaluating expressions. (That's an oversimplification, but you get the idea.)

One thing that often speeds things up is to disable cache markings, since this prevents a tremendous number of unnecessary reevaluations of the cache; just go to the Timeline panel menu and disable Show Cache Indicators.

Didn't notice this myself, but then I only had 2 rigged characters in my scene. You're right, DUIK 14 kicks ass. I have such a bombproof workflow now thanks to that French dude. I should send him some beercoins.

One thing that often speeds things up is to disable cache markings, since this prevents a tremendous number of unnecessary reevaluations of the cache; just go to the Timeline panel menu and disable Show Cache Indicators.

Just tried this on a project we had using DUIK 14 and saw a big speed bump. Thanks for the tip Todd.