Sign in to follow this  
superegophobia

Adobe CC, thumbs up or down?

I knew there was a silver lining in there somewhere. Thanks to this strangely misnomered "update" that unexpectedly installed entirely new and separate versions of all the software, I can still use my Red Giant plugins in CC. Fabulous.

;-)

Ugh, I've been a Creative Cloud defender from the start, so am pretty frustrated that they've already gone back to yearly, compatibility-breaking updates. Will hold off on this update for a while now.

I love CC, thumbs up to the payment model. I never bought any Adobe product before this. Why drop $3000 when you can drop $30 a month and get everything, tech support, typekit, behance prosite and basic cloud storage. I hope more people jump on CC and prey that drives the cost down.

Where I live (Netherlands) it's 92,24 (around US$125) per month. Less if you want to pay per year, but that defies the point of the subscription model... In April of 2012 I upgraded the Production Premium suite from CS5.5 to CS6 for 362. That still works perfectly, it's paid for and I have no intention of 'upgrading' any time soon.

I love CC, thumbs up to the payment model. I never bought any Adobe product before this. Why drop $3000 when you can drop $30 a month and get everything, tech support, typekit, behance prosite and basic cloud storage. I hope more people jump on CC and prey that drives the cost down.

Adobe has tech support? Wow! *lol* I suppose you can only live under that illusion if you never need it (and sadly it's even true for something as fundamental as sales and activation support). That aside your math doesn't work out for non-US people. Prices for a full CC sub are about 3 times as high here in Europe and since we're already on the subject - support is even worse here since they killed most regional phone support. Also your math would again not work out in terms of lowest possible price. You can get as many people on board as you like, it will never drop below a certain threshold. Simple economics - more users, more effort needed to feed them and keep them happy. Support cases cost money, too, no matter how poorly handled... ;-)

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

That really sucks if you us an SSD as I would not have enough room to have CS6, CC and CC 2014. Total garbage. I am staying on CS6 until there are major speed improvements or clients send me files that need CC. And I do own both CS6 physical copies and three seats of CC for my business. Nothing but a hassle so far IMO.

Simple economics - more users, more effort needed to feed them and keep them happy. Support cases cost money, too, no matter how poorly handled... ;-)

Hehe. That's an interesting theory. All though I've never really needed tech support from Adobe. When things don't work I just abort and try something else. Who the hell has time to call tech support?

I am staying on CS6 until there are major speed improvements or clients send me files that need CC.

What I wanna know is when the CC upgrades will ever force an incompatibility with older CC versions. I stopped hitting that annoying upgrade button a long time ago and I've lost track. For example if I'm on CC of March 2013, then suddenly I hit the upgrade button in March 2016…Then I could find my project doesn't open anymore. Then how will I know how far back and which patch to apply? I won't know that I hadn't upgraded since March2013 because I likely won't have a reference point. People just hit that upgrade button without tracking the version.

I just had this problem yesterday. I had some older AE files I needed to resurrect for a new job. Couldn't open them. They were just from a few years ago. Not only CC, but even Adobe CS6 wouldn't open them. The projects weren't that old! Okay, maybe 2007, lol.

This may have been covered already but how will future file compatibility be kept consistent for CC…. Todd?

I want that mercury transmit feature, so I can throw the image onto a TV without a blackmagic card. But the rest, meh, I'd be completely content with a CS6 license at this point.

This may have been covered already but how will future file compatibility be kept consistent for CC…. Todd?

Let me answer that for you instead of waiting for Todd, because it will always be the same fucking stupid answer: Each new version will have a "feature" to save out a previous version of a project file to use with the previous version of AE. You will need to do this step for each version you wish to downgrade to. Every. Fucking. Time. Its this way with the entire CS series, and its true apparently in this latest version.

CC was supposed to be the "End of Versioning". But clearly with the release of "2014", thats been blown away.

Here's a real question for Todd: Why doesn't the AE team acknowledge the issues with versioning and backwards compatibility and offer ways of recovering even parts of a project without needing the original version it was created with? Photoshop does this, and tells us "hey, I can't recover everything because some features aren't available in this version", and thats cool. Sometimes all I need is some text or positional data or something that is available to ALL versions.

Or, you know, beef up the XML export and make that the new default file format. Tag individual features as requiring certain versions. If you're working between multiple versions of AE but aren't using any version-specific features, you wouldn't even get a warning. If a feature isn't supported, you get a warning, and that effect just isn't rendered. As a bonus, you get built-in backwards compatibility that already works with previous AE versions out of the box.

Or do what Microsoft does and put out a compatibility patch for older versions of AE that will open newer projects while disabling any new features.

Or don't continuously tweak your save format every damn version.

Even though this looks like it may have been (is being addressed) here let me also chime in with what I was about to write prior to reading the responses in this thread:

Was I the only one under the impression that when Adobe upgraded us to Adobe CC, that we wouldn't see future "versions", as in what they just pulled with this new release (ex. Adobe After Effects 2014).

I thought that the whole idea of the Creative Cloud was to keep us in one version "CC". But now with the update, we get "Adobe 'fill in the blank' 2014"???

So that means, not only do I still have multiple versions of the programs taking up twice as much disk space, but I also get to still upgrade the plugins for all my applications?

What is the benefit of CC again?

Seriously kind of pissed right now. WTF Adobe?!?

Releasing the latest version as Adobe CC 2014 is practically telling users, get ready for CC 2015…. CC 2020! So yea, get your hard drives ready and be prepared for all the annoying plugin/script/add-on updating tasks that go along with it.

Releasing the latest version as Adobe CC 2014 is practically telling users, get ready for CC 2015…. CC 2020! So yea, get your hard drives ready and be prepared for all the annoying plugin/script/add-on updating tasks that go along with it.

Fucking hell.... It seems like they can't even stick to their own actual idea or conceptual model for the software. Tell me again why that is better than just get (or not getting) disks mailed or downloaded. Ugghhhh.

But instead of sticking with that nice model we get shit like Voice and now CC 2014. Personally holding off even downloading the damn updates (that I pay for) until it hits CC 2016 or my head just explodes.

Ready to pull the plug as well. Intro deal runs out for me in September. Not interested in bumping up to paying $50+ every month for the rest of my professional life. Seriously considering rolling back to my boxed CS5.5 and calling this years CC fees an educational expense.

I've always been a set-it-and-forget-it guy when it comes to my workstation configuration. I'm really tired of constantly playing the whack-a-mole game with AeCC updates and my plugins and project files and all that jazz..

The whole CC/protection racket isn't great ... but I'm actually OK with the versions setup. I'd rather deal with two versions than upgrade AE to get feature 'x' and suddenly find some obscure plugin doesn't work any more, or be unable to open a legacy file without it imploding. So I download 'CC 2014', run it for a month or so in tandem with the existing CC, drop back if it breaks anything, and hopefully make the move permanent at some stage.

If we're stuck forever with minor upgrades, continually patching the same creaky old app and always keeping the current version compatible, then AE may as well just sit tight and say thanks guys but we're all done here. I don't recall anyone saying that an advantage of CC was that you'll never have to run two versions.

At least this way the AE guys have leeway to introduce something really, truly shockingly innovative - you know, like folders in the timeline or something batshit crazy like that, without being shackled to supporting whatever dusty old layering setup it is that's currently grinding grooves into my CPU. :P

(BTW - GM FoldLayers still works in CC2014 - first thing I checked ;-)

FWIW, I've got versions of C4D back to R9 installed in various places, and see no problem with losing a bit of SSD space to new stuff in the overlap.

Maybe I am missing something but this 2014 updates is all minor IMO. Nothing to double the speed or make workflow faster or less cumbersome. The whole point and only exciting aspect of the CC deal is that it is only ever one app that you update instead of having three different versions of AE. Seems like the CC world of updates just increases release speed and bugs without providing us with much

The greater pity is that because of all the great updates that we've seen in the point releases (something that we've been told was only possible due to not needing to hold features for big yearly releases) I see little reason to update to CC14 due to the workflow breaking issues. If they'd saved up all the features I'd probably think it was a great release.

I do understand that there was a potential storm brewing with comparability issues between point releases, but surely it'd be better to spend time future proofing the save file/plugin format?

Edited by boy.finley

My impression on the launch of CC was that it would then be one, continuously updated version on your machine. Alarm bells rang in my head when I read a few months ago that after an update the backwards compatibility saving had shifted to a previous version of CC instead of CS6. I'm still on CS6, but I thought 'well, does that mean I have to have TWO versions of CC installed now to save my projects back to a format (CS6) that I can open if I stop paying subscription?'

I had imagined that CC would do something like AI does where you get a dropdown of previous versions to save to. I save .ai V.8 versions all the time for importing into C4D, and whilst I almost never save CS2 or any other version - I can do, and I only need the latest verison of AI to do everything the last version did and more.

AE has always been a bitch in this respect. For me, one of the features of CC that appealed has been revealed as non-existent.

I was emailing a well-known plugin developer yesterday who described CS6 as one of the most bug-ridden releases of AE ever. I get so many errors and lags associated with it's RAM and Disk cache handling that I am actually considering re-installing and using CS5.5 for as many jobs as I can. I was really comfortable with that version, it was more responsive somehow.

Yepp, CS5.5 was so far "the best" AE version before they screwed it with their pointless cache and Fast Preview stuff. I do all my work in CS5.5 and only fire up CS6 or CC when I really can't avoid it...

Mylenium

Is caching that big of a bitch? I remember all the issues with plugins like Particular, but I can't imagine going back life before caching.

I had imagined that CC would do something like AI does where you get a dropdown of previous versions to save to. I save .ai V.8 versions all the time for importing into C4D, and whilst I almost never save CS2 or any other version - I can do, and I only need the latest verison of AI to do everything the last version did and more.

This needs to happen, I've never understood why 'Save as Version..' has only gone back one release.

My own internal inofficial bug list has still about 20 (seemingly) cache-related bugs/ issues, so I'd consider it a cramp in the posterior parts. Haven't done much cross-checking lately, though. I've simply reached a point of "I don't care anymore". There's more interesting things out there than wasting your time with Adobe software...

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

Is caching that big of a bitch? I remember all the issues with plugins like Particular, but I can't imagine going back life before caching.

This needs to happen, I've never understood why 'Save as Version..' has only gone back one release.

On this project, its rearing its head as solo'ed layers rendering blank when they really have content. On others I've had frames displaying as frames from a COMPLETELY different project. Quite often get blank black or white preview frames which shouldnt be. Often get 3D Plugins like Trapcode or Plexus previewing a previous state on cached frames and I have to change the random seed to force refresh the cache, sometimes even that doesnt work and I have to empty the cache and restart the machine. Its just an all round pain in the arse.

Not to mention that Motion Sketch does not work at all in CS6, and recently Comp Window snapshots have stopped working too. Maybe its something to do with ML / Mavericks but if the software is supported by the vendor, it should work as advertised.

My own internal inofficial bug list has still about 20 (seemingly) cache-related bugs/ issues, so I'd consider it a cramp in the posterior parts. Haven't done much cross-checking lately, though. I've simply reached a point of "I don't care anymore". There's more interesting things out there than wasting your time with Adobe software...

Mylenium

Yeah, there are two major bugs I run into every day with CS6 that go away if you disable the cache. Which, of course, will never be fixed, because why bother making a product stable when you could just charge people for a new version?

And yes, I'm aware that's an argument in favour of CC.