Sign in to follow this  
Peedy

Shit Showreels Say

I expect, like a lot of you guys, you watch a lot of reels and other mograph pieces. I usually sit and watch a few things on Animade or Squeezeme.tv with my first coffee, every morning when I get into work.

I've pulled out a few 'showreel tropes' that hopefully some of you will agree with - and I bet there are plenty I've forgotten about... would love to have you input as to commonalities in reels.

It's been an interesting study coming up with this shortlist.

Cheers guys (hope I've got the right forum)

Hahaha, I want the title to be truncated to "Shit Showreels", and I like that you've driven yourself crazy enough watching shitty reels to have made this. Is self-torture the best inspiration? :D

And yeah, you're right. Cel animation. So hot right now. Cel animation.

Isn't this slightly biting the hand that feeds you? Certainly cloth, hair and plexus presets don't deserve any accolades, but the whooshy 2D graphics looked very similar to the logo outro - what does that say exactly? Is the end logo animation just another trope? I am questioning the clarity of where the irony-line is drawn here.

Things like shiny, magnetic, stripy balls with GI were always about what the latest technology could do more than the result of a proper design process. I personally wouldn't always say the same thing about the 2D cel-style trend though, I think it can do more than one thing.

Yeah, i agree with kitkats.

The line is kinda blurry. Maybe that was the intention though...

Even though these things are cliche mostly. But they are still all really well done. And a well executed cliche is a pretty valuable asset.

If it wasn't for the GSG shiny balls and the opening earth planet this would be a very respectable reel i think. Compared to a lot of the stuff posted anyway...

you put too much work into it for it to be cheesy and ironic :D

I think that one of the reasons that this works so well as parody is that it is a well-executed example of the thing being parodied.

Agreed. Someone with such brilliant skills doing what looks like tutorial projects. You could pick that irony up with a magnet.

Things like shiny, magnetic, stripy balls with GI were always about what the latest technology could do more than the result of a proper design process.

More like that was (hopefully that fad is on it's way out) about designers starting to learn C4D and worshipping GSG. It's funny to watch all these people learn C4D and think all the stupid little things you can do in there is groundbreaking when real 3D artists knew about that stuff years ago...

Edited by theta

I think that one of the reasons that this works so well as parody is that it is a well-executed example of the thing being parodied.

I dunno... it doesn't seem so cut-and-dry to me. The Plexus, cloth and hairy text look like they took about 20 minutes compared to the robot and 2D stuff which I would say were well-executed. If this was a series of cliches, each one done better and with more of a twist than we usually see them, it would make total sense. Maybe it's just those 2 or 3 things in there that are not done all that well (to my eyes) that are confusing me. I dunno…

It seems to be saying that a showreel full of over-used cliches is shit. But this IS a showreel (albeit contrived) full of cliches and yet only SOME of it is shit, some of it is genuinely pretty appealing. And I feel like I've seen other showreels full of over-used cliches that were all done really, really well. It's like this isn't quite good enough, or bad enough, to make the statement it is trying to.

Maybe it's not possible, like writing an exciting drama about boredom, to show 'good' 'shit'

More like that was (hopefully that fad is on it's way out) about designers starting to learn C4D and worshipping GSG. It's funny to watch all these people learn C4D and think all the stupid little things you can do in there is groundbreaking when real 3D artists knew about that stuff years ago...

Amen.

Mylenium