Sign in to follow this  
BoArlander

The New Mac Pro

been discussed to death.

if you use: GPU accelerated stuff ( openCL not CUDA). Then its great. ( eg. new final cut)

If you use mostly Adobe and Cinema4D. then right now its no better than the old mac pro's in many cases its worse.

that's pretty much it.

( obviously aesthetics are a totally different topic and should be decided on personally).

I'm amazed that no one else has brought this up by now. Now that it's been out for a while, is the new Mac Pro worth it?

Well, in my hunt for a new job I've come across this recently and the disappointment in the lack of performance and expandability of these machines resulted in this facility finally planning their move to Windows (they had a test machine available). The designers don't like it, but even they recognize that it's better to actually get their work done instead of waiting for Apple to come up with something magic. Speaks volumes...

Mylenium

Can't say whether it was "worth it" quite yet, but having used it for 2 weeks, I'm very happy with it. Been freelancing for 1 year now, and a maxed-out iMac was my machine. I'm currently using the iMac as a screen and a render node.

It's quiet, and so far fast enough for what I"m doing. Looking forward to apps taking advantage of it's GFX card power, though.

Well, in my hunt for a new job I've come across this recently and the disappointment in the lack of performance and expandability of these machines resulted in this facility finally planning their move to Windows (they had a test machine available). The designers don't like it, but even they recognize that it's better to actually get their work done instead of waiting for Apple to come up with something magic. Speaks volumes...

Mylenium

This makes sense. I think it really depends on what needs to get done. The iMac seems to be enough for many simple Maxon/Adobe jobs as it's faster than the old mac pro. So strange how they are caught in a limbo. It's like we blinked and now they are focused on mobile and tablets. That's a whole war right there that they now have to chase. Mac Pros are a small portion of their profit scheme now.

If you use mostly Adobe and Cinema4D. then right now its no better than the old mac pro's in many cases its worse.

that's pretty much it.

It's called denial Vozzz. I was hoping a leprechaun would add some mojo and make things run faster. Kidding. I was hoping to trigger a deeper discussion about Apple's future. They really seem to be prioritizing their efforts as a mobile company. This matters to us still dependent on macs.

Actually I think Apple now feel the pain of their own FCPX screw-up. The new MacPro seems tailormade for it, but since many actual FCP users have moved on to greener pastures, the excitement has lessened considerably... And naturally the many issues in OSX itself plus some more e.g in the Adobe apps don't necessarily make this an attractive proposition. I have been questioning this ever since they announced "The Tube" last year...

Mylenium

Plenty of benchmarks, specs, ranting around these machines, but thought I'd report my reaction, having had one for a couple of weeks now.

Pretty happy with how it's performing, it's not an astonishing leap - but it can easily handle the stuff that was making my old machine (MacPro 8-core) choke. Rendering is about a third faster, editor speed is around doubled on high-poly scenes. Big mograph setups get grindy, no change there. AE obviously doesn't use the graphics cards, and filters still churn along in AE - but the SSD system drive is really great - I went for the 1Tb option here, the read/write speeds are a massive jump up from the HD RAID I was using before - and having a separate thunderbolt SSD for the AE disk cache is killer - opening up an AE project and watching the whole timeline fill blue in an instant is tasty.

Hard to express, but my feeling is that it's a well balanced machine, not stellar in any department but entirely capable of dealing with what I throw at it. Shape, colour - who cares? - but the silent running is almost eerie, and I likey.

I guess time will tell if this is a novelty machine or something sustainable from Apple; I've not seen any Mac-PC conversions happening at the places I work but I've also not seen many tubes kicking around either.

Plenty of benchmarks, specs, ranting around these machines, but thought I'd report my reaction, having had one for a couple of weeks now.

Pretty happy with how it's performing, it's not an astonishing leap - but it can easily handle the stuff that was making my old machine (MacPro 8-core) choke. Rendering is about a third faster, editor speed is around doubled on high-poly scenes. Big mograph setups get grindy, no change there. AE obviously doesn't use the graphics cards, and filters still churn along in AE - but the SSD system drive is really great - I went for the 1Tb option here, the read/write speeds are a massive jump up from the HD RAID I was using before - and having a separate thunderbolt SSD for the AE disk cache is killer - opening up an AE project and watching the whole timeline fill blue in an instant is tasty.

Hard to express, but my feeling is that it's a well balanced machine, not stellar in any department but entirely capable of dealing with what I throw at it. Shape, colour - who cares? - but the silent running is almost eerie, and I likey.

I guess time will tell if this is a novelty machine or something sustainable from Apple; I've not seen any Mac-PC conversions happening at the places I work but I've also not seen many tubes kicking around either.

Thanks for the input. I was sure rendering would be project specific and good to know you have some success with it. 1/3 faster is something.

I was wondering about how many Mac-PC conversions are happening too, but I haven't seen it happen just yet.

ReelSmart Motion Blur and Denoiser II are two plugins I've noticed now support OPENCL.

I run PC/Nvidia so it doesn't have too much of an impact on me, but if the new MacPros are helping push an open standard, I'm all for it.

yeah i used to be very pro-CUDA, but with their recent price gouging relative to the 6 and 7 series ( ie crippling CUDA, so we have to get quadros). I am all for OpenCL being adopted instead :D

I went all in on a maxed out Mac Pro just after they were released. Since I was replacing a 2008 Mac Pro, pretty much everything was a substantial improvement, even though that machine had been upgraded with SSD's, maximum RAM, etc. I also bought a 12TB Promise Pegasus R2 RAID, which makes for a pretty potent setup. Although I'm happy with my purchase, I think overall the jury is still out on these machines. If there is significant development on the Open CL front, the new Mac Pro becomes a much more competitive proposition. Without that, it's probably a niche player for people like me who have been using Macs for so long that the idea of switching to a PC setup just makes them grumpy.

How is the heat with this new MP? My current 2010MP setup is like an oven in my small room.

I still have my old Mac Pro running next to the new one, and I can say that the new machine seems to put out significantly less heat, and far less noise. Even under full load the new Mac Pro doesn't make enough noise for you to really notice in a normal office environment.

Not that it justifies the full price premium, but the aesthetics and quietness do justify some of the price for me. If I'm dropping this kind of money on something, I'd prefer that it also be pleasant to look at and to live with.

Apple needs to release OS X that can run on any hardware. Like Google. Yes I know they make all their money from hardware. Mainly iPhones, Laptops and iMacs. And for most people they would never think to buy a Mac hardware then load Windows on it. That just isn't what normal people do. I know there is hackintosh but it seems like there is a disconnect since it isn't officially supported by Apple. Try selling your boss or IT guy on buy a PC and run "Hack"in anything and watch there butts pucker up. The word Hack alone is enough to end that idea. For what they spent to make the new Mac pro they could have modified OSX for the Pro market and charged a fee to run it on PC hardware and still been better off. But that is a crazy Microsoft move. A version of Windows for every Business sector. Eventually all this stuff will be ran off the cloud. Only thing holding it back is American internet speed and clients fear of security leaks.

Look at Octane Brigade (Eric Schmidt from google is on the board of directors) and Lagoa.

Edited by pixel_pimp

I went all in on a maxed out Mac Pro just after they were released. Since I was replacing a 2008 Mac Pro, pretty much everything was a substantial improvement, even though that machine had been upgraded with SSD's, maximum RAM, etc. I also bought a 12TB Promise Pegasus R2 RAID, which makes for a pretty potent setup. Although I'm happy with my purchase, I think overall the jury is still out on these machines. If there is significant development on the Open CL front, the new Mac Pro becomes a much more competitive proposition. Without that, it's probably a niche player for people like me who have been using Macs for so long that the idea of switching to a PC setup just makes them grumpy.

I still have my old Mac Pro running next to the new one, and I can say that the new machine seems to put out significantly less heat, and far less noise. Even under full load the new Mac Pro doesn't make enough noise for you to really notice in a normal office environment.

Not that it justifies the full price premium, but the aesthetics and quietness do justify some of the price for me. If I'm dropping this kind of money on something, I'd prefer that it also be pleasant to look at and to live with.

frizzle, you took the words out of my mouth - I have the same setup (minus the 12TB Pegasus), replaced a maxed out 2008 Mac Pro, with a maxed out new Mac Pro. I use my old Mac Pro for storage and offloading/network renders.

its really crazy how US internet is lagging so much, in pretty much all of eastern has 120mbs internet for $30/month. 240 is also available now for like $40.

How is the US struggling so much with this? I think its just the telco's rolling out progress slowly, to get more money over the long run. And this isn't fiber or anything, just regular old cable.

re: OpenCL.

they have 7 slot pci-x motherboards for like $500... Im sure they gonna be cheaper soon. that's a lot of openCL :))

and having a separate thunderbolt SSD for the AE disk cache is killer - opening up an AE project and watching the whole timeline fill blue in an instant is tasty.

What SSD did you get? Looking into doing this for my new machine (MP or iMac)

How is the US struggling so much with this? I think its just the telco's rolling out progress slowly, to get more money over the long run. And this isn't fiber or anything, just regular old cable.

Because it's controlled by only a couple of companies that have a complete monopoly on the market. No competition, so they can do whatever they want - like over charging and under delivering. And if there is competition, then they sue them.

there is just one company that provides here. its called UPC and its across europe...

there are other companies, but they are much slower.. Get your hist together USA =)))

Will we see a large scale adoption of Open CL that will make this machines shine? Have we had any word from Adobe, Maxon, Foundry etc. ?

Nuke already uses OpenCL here and there as does Premiere Pro and you can bet your sweet ass that Maxon will pimp the Physical Render and TeamRender with OpenCL in R16.

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

Nuke already uses OpenCL here and there as does Premiere Pro and you can bet your sweet as that Maxon will pimp the Physical Render and TeamRender with OpenCL in R16.

Mylenium

I sure hope you're right about OpenCL and the Physical Render engine.

All my CPU cores run at 100%. Embree works like magic. Add my GPU cores to that and I'll be a very happy puppy.