Sign in to follow this  
Carey

Video about storyboarding

Hey, so I made this video about doing storyboards. I'm better at making storyboards than I am at making videos, I think, but hopefully there's something enlightening in here nonetheless. Not sure this belongs in the showcase section, and it's not a tutorial, but I'd love to hear what you think, if anything. I'd like to get better at making these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cg5aCvbhWw

Awesome job on that, definitely better than most videos out there. Keep it up. The theory and reasoning behind all this stuff is so much more important than the tutorials about what buttons to push.

Just out of curiosity, what was their feedback on that concept?

Edited by theta

Thanks for watching. I'm going to try to keep making them, if they're helpful. I have another that's almost done, but I really need to figure out where there's an audience for this stuff cuz it's kind of not the traditional tutorial thing. If anyone can think of other forums or places to drop a link, please let me know!

Just out of curiosity, what was their feedback on that concept?

I think we were pitching against several other studios, and I don't think they went with this one. This was like 8 or 9 months ago and was for the upcoming nascar season, so whatever they decided to make has already been airing for quite a while, or is off air.

Great stuff. Have you thought about putting them on Vimeo?

So far the videos have been too long/large to upload to a Vimeo Basic account, or I would. Also, it seems like there's a better discovery process on youtube. People watching related things have a better chance of happening upon these videos, and since I have no idea where the audience is for this stuff, that's a bonus. Vimeo's sexier, but kind of less suitable.

Have you reached out to the guys at Motionographer? I think a lot of people who frequent that site would appreciate these. Maybe wait until your third is up so there is a bit of a collection to start people out.

www.nofilmschool.com also seems like a spot that would happily post these.

Honestly, I just listened to it on the drive home. The video went so fast that it was pointless to follow along and I found it more useful to just listen to your sweet voice.

So Podcast! There is the Collective Podcast and then I also love listening to Adventures in Design. I really love both of these podcasts. But for me an hour is all I have patience for. Some podcast are 3 hours! I think if you just talk for 45 min to 1 hour then post some pictures or maybe a section that shows a technique. That would be golden.

I think the Collective has the unscripted interview covered.

AID podcast is funny and is more related to poster art. The thing I really like about AID is that it is 3 guys joking around and talking shop.

If you just cover, pitching style frames, finding inspiration, theory, & thought process for mograph. I think if you did one a month too that would be awesome. It might be cool to freestyle with a couple other people.

Edited by pixel_pimp

Youtube is perfectly fine for podcasts. I think you can even post up to 4k now, so it should be plenty good. :)

When I first saw design boards on the net, I thought people were actually painting the smoke elements in photoshop. Only to find out when I got into mograph professionally, good boarders often sucked at drawing. They spoke as if elements were actually painted, yet most often they weren't. With exception of some painted falloff. I also learned that with certain boarders 99% of their concepts never get approved. But they keep getting work somehow under the radar.

Very solid podcast. Hopefully motionographer will feature it.

Demystification for the win.

Awesome video!

srsly dude, you are great at this!

one quick technical question: I noticed you where picking frames from stock exploding footage in AE and moving it to PS. What was the process? it seemed faster. than adding single frames to the export que.

This is just fantastic. As someone coming from doing a lot of corporate video mograph to the freelance world, I am always looking to up my game. Software has never been a problem for me, it is the whole meta process that I struggle with the most. This is absolutely invaluable, and I really hope you do more of these! I hope to see some more in-depth type stuff, and maybe slower versions that more fully explain the design/composition/colour decisions that are made along the way which support your ideas. One thing that seems to always elude me is the colour side of things. I have read a ton on colour theory and all that - and I get the principles, but I find it difficult sometimes to apply it practically (in complex compositions anyway - simple 3 colour vector animations I am usually alright with).

Keep it up!

-Spunj

My thinking is that mograph is an audio/visual medium, and that initially I want to address the art and craft of it, which means these should be videos. It seems more valuable to provide lots of visual examples and to show things instead of trying to tell them. Design podcasts are typically about technology or industry news, career talk and stuff about the experience of the artist, and tutorials are usually specific tips and tricks, and all of that stuff is pretty well covered already. So I don't really know what to call these things I'm making... they're sort of primers at this point, and I don't have a solid model for how best to craft them, but I don't want them to become either tutorials or lectures. So if there's something specific that worked for you, or didn't, or that seemed particularly helpful or not helpful, I'm all ears. Literally, I'm made of ears. It's gross.

OMG, that guy's putting out almost a video a day! Clearly it's a lot easier to say stupid stuff while playing video games, record it and publish it, but wow. Took me about 3 uninterrupted weeks to make mine. :D

My thinking is that mograph is an audio/visual medium, and that initially I want to address the art and craft of it, which means these should be videos. It seems more valuable to provide lots of visual examples and to show things instead of trying to tell them.

I think showing the visuals examples is essential. Especially when you talk about stuff like re-interpreting the form of the Nascar fence in your boards, those types of examples benefit a ton from having the visual reference right there in the vid. I don't see it being anywhere near as strong just as an audio podcast was pretty surprised to see the comment earlier, strongly vote to keep going with the video format.

The pod/vidcasts whatevers are about your process essentially so really best way to make them is the way you feel it, with a lot of your personality in there. That's the way I think of your vids, they're like behind the scenes/making of videos but rather than being about a specific project they're about your general creative process.

I also dig all the animated gifs and nonsense at the beginning:) it keeps me entertained and makes me want to watch even after a long day working in the mograph coal mines…so yeah video.

For me that 30 mins to 1 hour length is perfect. Once it gets over an hour a bit tougher to find the time to watch it.

If you can post them as video podcasts on itunes I think that would be helpful I'd like to just subscribe so I don't miss one if you start to do them semi regularly, sometimes I'll search with keywords on itunes to see if I can find any interesting podcasts on mograph related topics more people might find them that way. I got no problem waiting a while between "episodes" for something of this quality.

That's my 2cents, hope it's of some use.