Sign in to follow this  
Carey

Video about composition

Really nice. Good pacing, friendly and casual whilst getting over the meat!

I wish I'd learnt some of this during my many years of education! It's only in the last couple of years I've started learning this in a more systematic way. Neil Blevins has some good stuff on his site too.

I wish I'd learnt some of this during my many years of education! It's only in the last couple of years I've started learning this in a more systematic way. Neil Blevins has some good stuff on his site too.

Awesome! Yeah, there are several different ways to break this stuff down, none of which are definitive, and this is really just part of one of those ways. But it's a helpful part, and I realized a refresher would probably be helpful both for people who haven't been exposed to it, and for people who learned it a long time ago and do it by feel now. I tend to get lazy and stop thinking about these things consciously, which leads me to get stuck figuring out why something looks bland, and as soon as I look at that thing in the context of the fundamentals, it usually becomes really clear.

I'm working on another one this week as a way to explore this stuff a little more, so let me know if there's something I didn't go over very well in this one.

I learned moar cause Pop Tarts! :)

I'm still learning how to make pop tarts. It seems easy, but it ain't. I might have a learning disabillity.

Another nice one. The point about going back to design basics is something I always have to remind myself, especially after spending too much time nutting out technical problems.

I've got a request :D

Kinda like a linkage between 002 Storyboarding and 003 Composition, covering doing a cut or camera move from one composition to another.

Kinda like a linkage between 002 Storyboarding and 003 Composition, covering doing a cut or camera move from one composition to another.

He talked about that in 001 a bit.

It's good to hear that these are beneficial in some way, and that some people are liking them. Literally, TENS of people are liking them!

I've got a request :D

How so? You mean like in production? Or in storyboarding?

It's good to hear that these are beneficial in some way, and that some people are liking them. Literally, TENS of people are liking them!

Storyboarding / Storytelling.

I'd like to know more about the process of developing and implementing a narrative to drive the design of the storyboards. I've never found a good book on 'Storyboarding for Motion Graphics'.

Don't kid yourself, these are fantastic. There's a lot you could dive into: typography in motion, flat vs 3D design, infographics, integrating live action footage into animation, etc.

But we're all professionals, right, and I'm well proud of Binky for not doing software tutes, but more about the craft itself - but we all have stuff to share, each one of us regulars at least. We could all put our ten cents in and do a section each.

Then edit out the shit ones.

I'm kind of late to the part here, just getting back from vacation!

I havent checked out the composition one yet but the storyboarding tut was excellent. You're doing a really great job with these.

http://motionographer.com/2014/07/18/best-tutorial-ever/

Drop me a line if you'd like to add anything to this post.

joe@motionographer.com

Since you are taking requests, mine would be for your thoughts on the nebulous world of color theory.

I'd have to learn color theory first. I mostly wing it. Probably gonna have to figure it out eventually, though, and then all your dreams may come truuuuuue! If someone wants to teach me, I'll make an extra extra dumb video about it.

So at what point in your vid making career do you think we'll have to see your mug at the beginning of the videos?

I've got a face made for radio. :D

I'd have to learn color theory first. I mostly wing it. Probably gonna have to figure it out eventually, though, and then all your dreams may come truuuuuue! If someone wants to teach me, I'll make an extra extra dumb video about it.

I'm reading about colour theory at the moment.

This book's good. A lot is based on this book which is one of the definitive sources of colour theory.

This is also good.

I've alway kinda struggled with colour, at least this stuff gives me a framework.

Apart from some bits in Part 001, we haven't had much that's specific to time yet. I can see why, but eventually something about narrative or theory of editing might be good. Personally, I have a figurative and narrative (think comics type stuff) Fine Arts background, and I often find myself conceiving ideas that are based on one continuous shot or sequence. I just don't think in terms of cuts, which can limit my ideas for framing. To some extent it's just my taste, which I don't think is wrong, but it's something I'd like to improve on.

The varied reactions to these videos really makes you realise the width of the spectrum we are coming from. Motion graphics is such a sprawl, no wonder I still can't explain what I do in one sentence.