Sign in to follow this  
states

what's the skinny on the London scene these days ?

after a huge setback due to health reasons i found myself stranded in a nightmare country and i'm currently agonising over a much desired prospective relocation back in London, after quite some time ...

here's my vimeo link (incl. reel) : http://vimeo.com/doservice

anyone kind enough as to offer some constuctive advice on the subject pretty please ?

job posts abound... however, how easy (or hard) is it to obtain employment in the mograph/CG sector these days according to current real-life experience ?

thanks in advance

h.

Hard to answer in specifics, but generally it's a busy period IMO, and there's a shortage of talent. The recent bookings seem to be short and sharp though - two-four weeks - so there's lulls between jobs, which can be hairy when living is expensive. But the scene is big and expanding, so you shouldn't have long to fret about it.

Foxy reel by the way, strong style you've got going there.

much obliged for sharing your perspective sir !

from a quick online search i see no shortage of interesting vacancies as of late which ought to make one happy.

guess i should just take the plunge and see how it goes once back in place.

any opinions on recruiters ? i.e. blueberrycreatives.co.uk and the like ?

oh ... immense thanks for the reel tweet :)

Edited by states

I've heard good things about Digitalgurus.

I spoke to them myself and they were really helpful but I ended up taking a permanent job so have never taken a role from Digital Gurus. Friends of mine have and recommended them.

How does the pay in London compare to major american cities?

I was thinking of heading over there this fall, but I've heard mixed things.

Hey Spence! I've been freelancing here in London for a few years, standard dayrate for a mograph artist is 250-300 GBP, depending on the studio and the duration of the contract.

I think the London scene is pretty solid right now. It's worth making a list of the studios who do work you like and think you could contribute too. Then contact them or try and connect with people who work there through an extended network such as LinkedIn. a lot of places don't post jobs and simply work on word of mouth recommendations so if you can find someone who knows someone, it will be a huge help!

Good luck! :)