Sign in to follow this  
anothername

Tools For Realtime Generative Art

I'm working on a project mixing live action/realtime video of people with animation generated in realtime, animation to be generated and "tracked" onto the live action video using kinect data.

I'm working with someone who knows what they are doing in terms of making this work form a programming standpoint but obviously our tools are very different and as much as possible I don't want to be just handing off mockups and giving them huge programming challenges (although that is a possible workflow).

I was thinking of using VVVV or processing, but then I got to thinking about Ni MATE http://www.ni-mate.com and Octane, and got to wondering if there was any way to accomplish this using C4D.... (or maybe Blender with the Blender Game Engine)

I have a lot of leeway with the style of animation so I can work within the confines of the technology, I can keep the animation extremely simple if necessary.

Anyhow was curious if anyone had any good ideas of tools to look at, experience doing anything similar, or thoughts on approaches before I dive in and do a bunch of testing and more research.

My goal is to get as much of the way there as I can on my own, using tools as similar to the ones I am used to as possible.

Funny, I am in such a similar situation that I wonder if we are working on the same pitch. :P

We are trying to find an occulus-rift type device, or perhaps precisely an occulus rift, that can be rigged onto a shoulder mount camera. The thinking is that the camera would feed into a live keyer, which would be comped over a video game engine environment. This part is completely in theory right now and I haven't explored that world yet.

My thinking thus far has been to feed it into the Unity game engine, which C4D apparently supports now. So... now I am doing tests to see whats possible in terms of set design when outputting to the Unity game engine. After learning Unity a bit and seeing what type of end-quality we are dealing with, I will move onto how to get the camera motion into the video game world.

ni-mate looks cool, but it seems to only capture and record character movements. We are more trying to place live action people into a 3d world through a live feed. Bookmarked, though.

Funny, I am in such a similar situation that I wonder if we are working on the same pitch. :P

Not the same pitch I'm pretty sure:)

What we're trying to do is pretty simple I think compare to what you are going for. It's for an installation and basically, the idea is to have people's movement generate some cool abstract animation derived from the Kinect mocap data and have that comped back on top of a live feed of them doing the movement.

Pretty similar idea to a lot of the kind of installation stuff Universal Everything does a lot of.

I can go pretty abstract with the animation and use simple shapes, so the only complication is the realtime side.

I think this is fairly "standard" stuff to do with processing...but man o man if I could use the kinect data to drive some kind of x-particles setup and have that render in realtime using Octane (or through unity)...would make me a very happy camper.

The cool thing is since it's all abstract is the shading and lighting can be very basic so that should help with the realtime.

Right now my challenge to testing this is that I don't own Octane, Xparticles, or Ni Mate, not sure if the limitations on the Demos will prevent an accurate test but it's worth a shot to see.

Yeah I hadn't heard of vvvv before but seems like a good option. I love the fact that it has that node/espresso like interface so at least it's not totally foreign.

Still going to try and see what I can do with cinema though, just in terms of training people and finding freelancers will be simpler if I can use more commonly known tools.

If you need any freelancers let me know ;)

Not everyone gets their heads around vvvv, but once you do, its incredibly flexible, I got into it when I was working on screen content for TV shows, needed to make a lot of loops quickly and to order, mostly do interactive things now...

This is a pretty old thread, but I'm just starting to get into this stuff.

I recently saw some things done with Max/MSP and Jitter, and am kinda intrigued.

Anybody else use this?

I've played around a bit with Max. Pure Data is fairly similar I believe, plus it's free. Not sure how good it is for visuals though.

is there an "industry standard" for this type of stuff yet?

it looks like derrivative TouchDesigner may be one,

but onLeviathan's webpage I noticed a bunch of Houdini tests/examples.

im really fascinated by all of this but kinda overwhelmed and dont want to waste a bunch of time learning something that is really just a toy (VVVV & Max/MSP/Jitter).

Would I maybe be best off just learning Python?

im really fascinated by all of this but kinda overwhelmed and dont want to waste a bunch of time learning something that is really just a toy

Yeah I feel the same way. The more I look at all this stuff the more I think that maybe just learning Unity would be the best way to go since the game engines have a solid userbase and aren't going anywhere soon.

it looks like derrivative TouchDesigner may be one,

but onLeviathan's webpage I noticed a bunch of Houdini tests/examples.

I believe TD was born out of Houdini.

Edited by Basic

damnit, i didnt even consider unity.

I'm a loooooong way off from being a unity expert just a few little bits of fooling around here and there but from what I saw a lot of stuff is pretty user friendly, if you know AE and C4D there are lots of tools in there that work in really similar ways. Seems like it would be pretty fast to get up and running for simple projects if you have a motion graphics background.

I don't think there is an industry standard, interactive media is obviously a pretty wide field.

I think if you learn anything code based it's definitely not wasted as it's fairly applicable to other code based languages.

Touch Designer is PC only I think as well.

Yeah PC only and I don't think they view is to change that to Mac any time soon. I checked this out a little while ago - it may have changed but I doubt it.