Sign in to follow this  
silatix

Laptop buying advice (for ae & c4d work)

Looking to get a second machine so I don't have to be tied down to my tower. Mostly look at mb pros but am open to suggestion. I'm currently running a hackintosh tower and wouldn't be against a hackintosh laptop assuming it wasn't bulky/ugly. Any advice is appreciated!

If you're married to OSX, the MacBook Pro is the only reasonable option. Other than that, I'd look at the Lenovo T series (probably the best all-around laptops, period), or the higher end ASUS models (which are absolute beasts for 3D work).

Off-topic, but how's that hackintosh working out for you?

I'm trying to set-up a dual boot box. I usually work in Windows, but want to install OSX just to have at home.

It's great aside from troubles I've been having setting up a drobo. Done a ton of work on it in the past year on it and have been comfortably overclocked at 4.3ghz (original chip is 3.5ghz). Hoping to swap out the motherboard and processor one day to go from quad-core to hexa-core.

As any laptop, Macbook Pro probably isn't the c4d renderbeast you'd be used to, but it is clearly the best purchase I've ever made. The whole retina display is kind of wasted because hardly anything seems to utilize it, but the guts of this thing are ridiculous for something you can throw in a backpack. I do everything on it, without limitation. Then again, I'm not popping off 4k vray renders, but I imagine if you were, you'd be render farming it. Mine is getting on 2 years old and I have no thoughts of upgrading.

As any laptop, Macbook Pro probably isn't the c4d renderbeast you'd be used to, but it is clearly the best purchase I've ever made. The whole retina display is kind of wasted because hardly anything seems to utilize it, but the guts of this thing are ridiculous for something you can throw in a backpack. I do everything on it, without limitation. Then again, I'm not popping off 4k vray renders, but I imagine if you were, you'd be render farming it. Mine is getting on 2 years old and I have no thoughts of upgrading.

Well that sounds promising! I can always render on my tower if I need to.. Guess I just wanted to make sure that it held up with most other things (well enough). I'm considering getting a used 2013 model and save a few hundred bucks - 15" Retina 2.7 GHz 16gb ram.

Well that sounds promising! I can always render on my tower if I need to.. Guess I just wanted to make sure that it held up with most other things (well enough). I'm considering getting a used 2013 model and save a few hundred bucks - 15" Retina 2.7 GHz 16gb ram.

I guess I should say I don't know jack about the PC world anymore, so I can't compare at all. And I don't think there's been a 15" mbpro update since late 2013 anyway, which might mean they'll refresh them around september, if that means anything. Pretty easy to get them new online with no tax or shipping.

In the PC world, the biggest problem is that the good ones are so cheesy looking. Like.. Fast & Furious car cheesy. Unless, you go with a "mobile workstation" line. Those are more professional looking, but have a much higher price tag due to quadro cards etc. These are more marketed toward the engineering world. In our neck of the woods, a high end gaming laptop is the most ideal in terms of hardware configs.

If I were to buy a laptop today, it would be the Aorus X7v2-CF1. Its nice and thin, has a 17" screen, relatively light compared to other PC laptops, has 2 Nvidea 860m GPUs with 8gb of vRam, 16gb of regular ram, and a quad core / 8 thread processor. If the future is GPU, this is your laptop (PC). The speakers concern me, though. If its anything like my Asus G75vw, and I suspect it is, the speakers are pretty bad. The subwoofer on the bottom idea just doesn't work too well. You'll probably be wearing headphones for anything critical anyway no matter the laptop, but its something to consider with how you would be using it.

If you go the mac route, I'd recommend hold out until the next refresh. I suspect they will be throwing more GPU power into them. Its the only thing to update, really - unless they bring back the 17" version.

If you want truly desktop performance, Boxx has some pretty compelling offerings. They put desktop hardware in a laptop form factor. The only problem here is price and bulk.

if you want to do some build customization to fit your needs, http://www.gentechpc.com/ is a pretty good place for high end pc laptops.

Edited by AromaKat

I'll second the retina MBP.

I'm using the 2012 2.6ghz model and everything aside from C4D rendering is silky smooth.

My favorite thing about these newer MBP models is the lack of overheating that so many laptops suffer from. I can push this thing to the limit and still have it sit comfortably on my lap.

Here's a credible PC laptop MBP equivalent: the MSI Ghost Pro 3K.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GS60-Ghost-Pro-3K-Edition-2PEWi716SR21-Notebook-Review.118569.0.html. It's got a ridiculous screen resolution of 2880x1620, which is crazy high for a PC laptop, it's 2cm high, it's made of creaky black plastic and is hotter than Dante's ring post-vindaloo, and has a case badge that looks suspiciously like a Ferrari emblem, as is the wont of PC gaming designers. As for thunderbolt ports, magnetic power socket and solid monocoque chassis, forgeddaboutit.

Notebook Review says that with only 80% of the sRGB gamut it's not suitable for professional work, but then an MBP's Retina display only manages 67%...