Sign in to follow this  
ehubbel

Inspiration/Ideas for Currently Boring Product Video

Hi all,

First post and didn't really see anything similar to what I'm looking for. Just started a new job and half of my work will be video editing and some motion graphics work.

The company I work for is a tool and tool system manufacturer. I'm being tasked with making their boring videos more exciting and modern. The intro and outro (extro? whatever...) are bound by the corporate style guide but everything in between is fair game.

Question is...for something as boring as tools...I'm looking for a place that might have similar videos to find inspiration for creative ways to present the videos. It's been years since I've really created any videos so I'm a little out of the game.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Eric

Try messing with scale and pace. Big fast things look interesting when viewed in macro closeup and ultra slow-mo. Odd camera angles. Explode the tools then reassemble them. Turn outer materials transparent, so you can see inner workings. Present the subject in unfamiliar ways.

If you approach a project saying this is boring, wtf can I say about tools, you're always going to struggle. Tools whatever. Meh. A truly enquiring, curious mind is fascinated by things that seem mundane at first glance.

Regardless of the client or the brief the first question I always ask myself is what excites me about this product or service, usually takes some research to find this unless it's a really unique product/service. I don't usually start on a concept until I find something that excites me to hang my hat on.

There is always something maybe it's nerding out on the precision craftsmanship of the tools, maybe the tools themselves are cheap and low end but I get super excited by imagining what I could build if I bought all the tools.

For me the concept and style always grows out of that first spark of excitement. Often to find it I just flat out ask a client why do you make xyz, what do you love about your product, what's the best thing about your product, why do your customers chose your product etc., until I hit on something interesting, a lot of times it takes a little digging and asking the question a lot of different ways to get past the corporate talking points.

It can also help to talk to people who use the product, I might find tools not that interesting but when I talk to my brother who is an electrician man can he nerd out about quality tools the same way we nerd out about software, or there is a great segment on the show this old house (I think) where they bring in a really obscure tool and try and guess which for some reason I always love.

Finding a way in, a way to get excited and engaged with almost any subject is a really vital skill to work as a pro commercial artist (especially to avoid getting burnt out).

What is the point of the videos? If you have a certain direction or prompt you have to follow, maybe you can take inspiration from different products. Don't think of them as tools. Maybe they are buildings or monuments. Cars, technical devices. I think if you get out of the tool mindset, you can find a lot of inspiration from other avenues.

Thanks guys for the advice. I can ask the guys who assemble the tools and demo them for our customers what they find to be the most exciting/cool part about it. Most of these are articulating arms and other large tools. There won't be any 3d work...at least not in the near future (although fingers are crossed!).

The videos themselves are to show our customers the functionality of the tools. I'll have to see if I can find an example and post it. Most are internal.

Keep in mind that while the tool may be boring to you, it is at least used by your target audience. It might be useful to spend sometime understanding your audience and seeing what they like. What shows do they watch, etc. It's helped me with my industrial clients.

-gl

What are the goals of the video?

If you can get a tight brief from the client about who the audience is, and what the CTA (call the action) is, you'll have a much smoother time figuring out what will be a successful video.

For example:

If its an 'awareness video' you'll want to get people who are not aware of the company interested in learning more.

If its a 'consideration video' the viewer will be aware of the company, but will want to know more in 'considering to buy'. You can show overview of the range of benefits of the company.

If its a 'conversion video' the viewer is very interested in buying, but they need to know specific info about what they are buying. This is where you go deep on usability and features, you get very close to the product and benefits.

Read more here: http://wipster.io/blog/mighty-video-sales-funnel