Sign in to follow this  
destro

C4D R16

Very exciting! The new texture engine looks cool, but I'm really excited they added a button to Solo objects. The UV Peeler looks great too, a lot more user-friendly than the Bodypaint monstrosity that exists currently.

joey

Doesn't look like that much useful stuff. Good to see some modeling improvements though, I like the poly pen tool, although the arc feature looks like it just screws up all your quads for you. 3d tracker will save some time for some stuff I guess.

All that preset stuff doesn't seem like a big deal, I guess it's helpful to some people though.

Better late than never with the addition of reflectance channel, I don't know that any other 3d program that touts that as a feature, since they were all developed with it from the start.

I was just hoping when they got to that "one more" feature of the video, they would have said it's "FASTER"

Very exciting! The new texture engine looks cool, but I'm really excited they added a button to Solo objects. The UV Peeler looks great too, a lot more user-friendly than the Bodypaint monstrosity that exists currently.

joey

Have you used MagicSolo? Glad they finally added this feature.

all c4d releases are siginificantly faster than the previous ones. You dont notice until you have to open a project in an old release =)

so i doubt this will be any different.

But im sold, this realease looks awesome!

The main reason I still prefer to use the Foundry CameraTracker over the built in AE one is that we can mask out moving people and objects. The built in one doesn't do a great job at automatically removing those points, but it tries. It always throws the track off a bit. It can be noodled, but Foundry's tracker is just easier because I can garbage matte what needs or not needs to be tracked.

I'm curious to see if the same applies with the c4d tracker - or if I can somehow define where talent, moving cars, etc are so it doesn't throw things off. All the samples I see on the site are of very static environments.

I can vouch for the new motion tracker - used it on a project in February, and using it on a project right now. The foundry's is great, of course, but it's nice to have a tracker in the 3D program itself. It feels faster, probably because C4D feels faster when using it in general.

Team Render is also more solid - ships with an actual client and server. Both are easy to set up.

I haven't played much with the reflections, but being able to create fabric textures easily has been useful.

I'm curious to see if the same applies with the c4d tracker - or if I can somehow define where talent, moving cars, etc are so it doesn't throw things off. All the samples I see on the site are of very static environments.

Check out the demo video on Cineversity. There's masking, as well as automatic track filtering. All our demo shots had Mathias moving his arms around and we didn't have any problems tracking them.

Check out the demo video on Cineversity. There's masking, as well as automatic track filtering. All our demo shots had Mathias moving his arms around and we didn't have any problems tracking them.

Thanks! My concerns have been replaced with pure excitement. It looks like it does everything I'd want it to do, and I'd much rather prefer doing it in 3d.

I was just hoping when they got to that "one more" feature of the video, they would have said it's "FASTER"

I was really hoping it was going to say "GPU-based physical renderer". Oh well.

All in all, I'm happy with the update.

Not much in the way of wow-factor, unexpected features, but looks like a solid release that ticks quite a few things off the to-do list. Deformer falloff, bevel deformer, reflectance all look like they could soon be hard to live without.

The UV Peeler looks great too, a lot more user-friendly than the Bodypaint monstrosity that exists currently.

joey

Be under no illusion.. This is not what you think it is. It's for adjusting UVs of cylindrical objects, that's it.

Bodypaint is virtually unchanged (again).

Kind of surprised how many people are excited about magic solo being implemented, it's always nice to reduce the plugin folder size, but it's been a free tiny plugin that should have been docked in your layout for ages already.

Definitely some nice stuff, deformers falloff finally doesn't need a convoluted workaround, bevel deformer, polygon tools seem interesting, looks like a lot of cool new things in the content browser actually.

Oh, and are we all just going to ignore that awesome motion graphics announcement video? ;)

Oh, and are we all just going to ignore that awesome motion graphics announcement video? ;)

That thing was a masterpiece. Maxon sure does know how to utilize its relationship with top-notch artists.

I always get amped for the release but then expectations fall a bit short. I'll wait to I get to tinker with it some before I pass judgement.

Some things look promising (those mentioned above).

For reals though, post #2, when can Maxon finally cross this off the list?!

I felt kind of underwhelmed when R15 came out but there were a lot of lesser features behind the big stuff that made it great for me. Hoping there more of that in this release plus hopefully speed improvements. Motion tracker looks fun, and very happy to see the new modelling stuff. But I would really love to see more updates to the basics though over things like content browser and the packaging tool - core stuff needed in all 3D apps such as a decent uv editing tools (uv edges, move and sew like maya etc), or node based material editor. Am sure it'll get there in the end

edit>> Just noticed the extra uv tools on cineversity, looks like a step in the right direction there too, can't wait to try it out

Edited by rich

I have just renewed the MSA, as they hd me at Team Render Server, and tbh theres no getting round the fact that most of the work I do depends on C4D. Annoyed at bodypaint and particles haven't been touched, but theres enough to make it a potentially better release overall than R15, which was underwhelming even with Team Render which created as many problems as it solved.

Oh and apparently a little bird has said that UK (and hopefully EU) MSA members are finally getting a year of cineversity........bless them they may be listening....