Sign in to follow this  
Mentor

Vray + DR

Hi,

I connected my Macbook pro to my Mac pro with an ethernet cable to take advantage of Cinema4D Vray 1.9 distribute rendering and I'm having issues with empty/white buckets when I render using the standalone on my laptop. I know that all materials have to be vray, but I don't know what am I doing wrong. I was wondering if I need a desktop switch to improve speed connection. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

you need to make sure you have a "Crossed" ethernet cable. Its a different cable to the normal eithernet cables you use to connect computers to a switch.

Not useless, but there's certainly some overhead.

Many shaders work but it's not foolproof. The best way to use DR is by learning the VRay shaders - not easy as there's zero documentation with these. I've played with a few, some are pure gimmick but a few are OK - the tiles has nice options and you can layer shaders together, so you can feed granite into noise and feed the result into marble - but it's pretty hit and miss.

Of course all this would all be far more useful with a proper nodal material system, otherwise settings get buried twelve layers deep.

DR is such a great feature though it's worth spending some time getting used to building materials with VRay shaders, the effect is like suddenly having a machine hundreds of percent faster for viewport rendering.

Thanks Chris! Don't get me wrong, I've just finished my first motion project with vray and i'm astonished how easy and fast is to achieve realistic results, the glass and glossiness materials are simply amazing and easy to set up. I don't go back to phisical render, but I thought I would take advantage of my old computers easily. Maybe team render with Vray?

Thanks Chris! Don't get me wrong, I've just finished my first motion project with vray and i'm astonished how easy and fast is to achieve realistic results, the glass and glossiness materials are simply amazing and easy to set up. I don't go back to phisical render, but I thought I would take advantage of my old computers easily. Maybe team render with Vray?

Absolutely, TR works fine, via the render queue. Difference is that with DR you can render in the editor window and the slaves all join in, also you can render just as you would from Cinema, it's transparent you just get a whole load more buckets. So you can render sequentially and avoid the pile of crap you get if TR falls over.