Sign in to follow this  
manodzit

spatial vs temporal curves!

hi everyone,

i am having a hard time understanding why manipulating the curves in the timeline menu has any effect on the objects trajectory?

is there anything i am missing?

i had the impression that the curves on the timeline only manipulates the velocity and the trajectory is left alone to be manipulated in the editor view.

perhaps there is a way to do this, perhaps i do not know / havent managed to find it out yet!

ideally i would like to manipulate the velocity curves through the xyz curves in the timeline and the trajectories in the viewport directly.

PS: i am aware of the time curve (special curve) but i would rather use that as a backup option

i would be indebted to anyone who can shed some light on this matter.

thanks in advance

m.

hi sorry, i should have mentioned in my post:

i am talking about c4d

to simplify the above post:

In the timeline, why the behavior of tangents manipulation effects spatial interpolation along with temporal? (it ends up manipulating the trajectory of the object, while all i seek is to manipulate the speed only) is there a way to manipulate them independently?
(i am not talking about the time curve solution)
thanks
m.

For this I'd put my camera on a spline then you have full control over velocity.

Velocity is the result of speed and position, you cannot alter them independantly with the xyz curves.

Sometimes I keyframe out my camera roughly then use this as a guide for creating a spline path.

edit: thought you were talking about the camera, same principles apply though

Edited by simonfarussell

If you are coming from software like After Effects and have never enabled 'Separate XYZ' for position, you could be forgiven for thinking C4D's behaviour is strange, but actually it is more common, and arguably more useful, for 3D applications to keyframe the 3 values separately. Although you can select all 3 Pos. values and make a keyframe in C4D, you are really just making 3 keyframes on the same frame.

Lets take your example. You have 3 keys for start position, say X=0, Y=0, Z=0 then move forward 90 frames and have 3 keys something like X=100, Y=0, Z=0 (the Y keys are also interpolating up to 30 and back down to 0 without a keyframe at 30). Now - imagine you shift your second Y keyframe back in time to 45 frames, leaving the other 2 keys at 90. Your sphere now has to move along X just as before, but now it has to rise up and down in half the time, so it's second 45 frames it will be at Y=0 and just slide along the floor whilst the X position continues from 50 to 100. This is a different shape trajectory in space, it must be. The same thing goes for keyframe interpolation - if you change the interpolation of X,Y or Z keyframe (instead of moving it in time) the trajectory also has to change. The only way this would not be true is if all 3 values' interpolation were locked together (like in AE when Position is a single keyframe instead of 3 keyframes)

I don't think there's a simple way of locking the 3 values in this way in C4D. The usual option is to do as Simon said and use a spline and an Align to Spline tag.

Once you get used to animating XYZ separately, it's actually a really nice way of doing things. But as with 3D camera rigs, there are horses for courses.

Select the keyframes in the time line, then from the timeline menu:

key > uncheck clamp

key > uncheck auto tangents

With the move tool selected, click on a key in the viewport - there will be black motion path handles visible which can be manipulated as in AE.

Select the keyframes in the time line, then from the timeline menu:

key > uncheck clamp

key > uncheck auto tangents

With the move tool selected, click on a key in the viewport - there will be black motion path handles visible which can be manipulated as in AE.

I didn't know you could do bezier paths for keyframes in the viewport... thanks.