Sign in to follow this  
andregodinh

References / Imagery collection

Hi there!

I was wondering how all you mographers search and collect references? I've been using Pinterest for a while, following people like GMUNK, and then a couple of other websites (some tumblrs, some aggregators). Do you guys constantly search for imagery or do you do it only when you have a new job going on?

Thanks,

André

I do a lot of research if possible (eg. Google images) and I've tried to collect on Pinterest and a few others but I don't have the discipline.

I don't have an ongoing collection, nice idea but actually takes quite a bit of work.

If there was a site where I could bulk upload JPEGs then I may do that...

yeah, ive found pinterest quite practical. except for when there is no internet, then it really sucks. also kinda worried if it just decides to close, then i lose a big chunk of my collection...

so i also save some stuff to a folder on my hard drive which syncs to google's picasa albulms.

i do it both when i have a new job and when im doing a personal project

I do a lot of research if possible (eg. Google images) and I've tried to collect on Pinterest and a few others but I don't have the discipline.

I don't have an ongoing collection, nice idea but actually takes quite a bit of work.

If there was a site where I could bulk upload JPEGs then I may do that...

Yeah, there's no option to bulk upload JPEGs on Pinterest, that's annoying sometimes. I've actually been keeping some Pinterest boards (http://www.pinterest.com/andregodinho/), but was just wondering how the pro's would do it !

yeah, ive found pinterest quite practical. except for when there is no internet, then it really sucks. also kinda worried if it just decides to close, then i lose a big chunk of my collection...

so i also save some stuff to a folder on my hard drive which syncs to google's picasa albulms.

i do it both when i have a new job and when im doing a personal project

I also like Pinterest, but I have yet to have a job where I refer a lot to it. I guess for specific jobs you always need big collections of the same styles, and my pinterest boards themes are usually more broad.

I have just started using pinterest which seems decent, I also use designspiration.net for more specific images.

Yes, aggregators like designspiration are nice but they always seem a bit too much trendy to me.

I'm trying to follow more specific or more diverse blogs /sites now, because I seem to find the same things over and over in websites like niiice, designspiration, etc.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Yeah more generally it

Yes, aggregators like designspiration are nice but they always seem a bit too much trendy to me.

I'm trying to follow more specific or more diverse blogs /sites now, because I seem to find the same things over and over in websites like niiice, designspiration, etc.

yep on a more general note I think it's best to research far and wide. A lot of mograph/design stuff is quite trend orientated and it can turn into a process of just recycling and everything ends up looking generic.

I hate to think the number of times I've referenced the Tron concept stuff. Saying that, whilst that Tron stuff is now generic there was definitely some originality and freshness there, or at least sourcing of ooooold stuff :)

Edited by simonfarussell

Yeah more generally it

yep on a more general note I think it's best to research far and wide. A lot of mograph/design stuff is quite trend orientated and it can turn into a process of just recycling and everything ends up looking generic.

I hate to think the number of times I've referenced the Tron concept stuff. Saying that, whilst that Tron stuff is now generic there was definitely some originality and freshness there, or at least sourcing of ooooold stuff :)

Yeah, GMUNK talks a lot about Ernst Haeckel when explaining his concepts/references. I think his work is a good example of this type of wide research. In my opinion, that's usually were the freshest work comes from: really digging deep and creating relations between references that are seemingly non related!

I created this topic also because I work a lot with 2D, and all the videos clients ask for end up being the same video with a different brand, and I'm trying to expand my possibilities a bit (a least in those jobs where there's room for it).

I think when it comes to ease of use and the social aspect Pintrest is the way to go.

I personally don't care for Pintrest though and use an app called Ember.

It is pretty wonderful. I found in the past, when I did try to use Pintest I was very sloppy with it and didn't like the process of collecting reference. Ember is much more involved but for me having a desktop app has made a world of difference. I tag and rate everything and keep it all buttoned up and specific. It is more time consuming but I have everything catalogued and saved just the way I like. It also has an RSS feature so you can check and save ref from your feed directly in the app it self.

I highly recommend it, the only downside is that you have to be on a dedicated computer to save images. With freelancing that can be tough when you come across something you dont want to lose but dont have access to the app. In those cases, I have a draft in my gmail called "To Ember" and I save everything there to later catalogue.

I have a folder in my OneDrive I use for collecting really specific stuff, like UI examples (which, heck, I'll just share--http://1drv.ms/1sQyH8Z).

I have a Tumblr I use for random things I find inspiring (http://inspiration.aaronhildebrandt.com/).

And I have a Tumblr I use for posting shots from Orphan Black :P (http://orphanblackcinema.tumblr.com/).

I started using Pinterest a while ago and although I really like it, I find that it doesn't always work so well for video - the iOS apps crash on videos and animated GIFs quite often. I have a few hundred video files I keep in Google Drive too because I had them before Pinterest was around.

Wow guys! This is my first post on the forum and you guys seem great!

I've also tried to maintain a folder, but it doesn't seem to stick for long. So now I just use Pinterest. Maybe it would be good in the long run, but for now I haven't referred back much to it! Nonetheless, if you follow the right people, it's always a visual feast!

I have a folder in my OneDrive I use for collecting really specific stuff, like UI examples (which, heck, I'll just share--http://1drv.ms/1sQyH8Z).

I have a Tumblr I use for random things I find inspiring (http://inspiration.aaronhildebrandt.com/).

And I have a Tumblr I use for posting shots from Orphan Black :P (http://orphanblackcinema.tumblr.com/).

You've got some great collections here! Thanks!

Wow guys! This is my first post on the forum and you guys seem great!

I've also tried to maintain a folder, but it doesn't seem to stick for long. So now I just use Pinterest. Maybe it would be good in the long run, but for now I haven't referred back much to it! Nonetheless, if you follow the right people, it's always a visual feast!

Ask good questions, get good answers =)