Sign in to follow this  
simonbronson

light streaks in xparticles vs particular

Hi folks,

I've started a particular project to do some light streaks but was wondering whether anyone has had better results with xparticles. I have a shot where lights are spinning around a 3d element so it would be advantageous to stay within C4D.

I set up a spinning sprite and made an align to spline tag for an emitter as I would in particular but haven't nailed the quality of render that I can get from particular. Any body have experience with the best sort of material/trail object settings it would be appreciated.

Maybe use an obscuration layer in Particular to get around the 3D issue.

In C4D I'd think about just sweeping along splines and using a nice shader. (Or spline wrap deformer maybe)

Not sure I'd use Xparticles as your either relying on the XP shader (which you should set to 'Add') which isn't ideal for this or you're creating lots of geometry (e.g. loads of particles to imitated a light blur)

Also, have you checked the XP forum? Definitely worth it if you haven't already

Edited by simonfarussell

In X-particles you can use a Trail Object to create splines to sweep. Like Simon said, sweep your trail object splines with a nice shape / shader with some illumination that would fall onto the central object.

The x-particles manual is pretty good. The TP forum might leave you waiting for an answer you could get just by glancing through the manual in your X-particles install.

Edited by AromaKat