Sign in to follow this  
AromaKat

Fonts being emailed from a Mac show up as 0kb

Odd question here, but its driving me mad and I can't find a straight answer via google.

A client on a mac keeps trying to email me a zip containing fonts. The zip is 290kb in size. When I unzip them (windows here), all of the files show up as 0kb.

I asked a friend with a mac to try to unzip the files, and sure enough.. they are usable files. However, when copy - pasting from their mac to my pc via remote desktop, they become 0kb again.

Does anyone have a method on a PC to get such font deliveries to work? We are 100% pc based so its a huge pain in the ass.

And, emailing a font from a PC to a PC works just fine. All types of formats, too. Did OTF and TTF.

This used to be a common problem, and I've not encountered this in a while. It used to be that "Mac" typefaces stored their data in a place where Windows just didn't see it. These days, a TTF is TTF and Mac OS or Windows pretty much see them the same way.

Honestly, I've not seen this since Mac OS 9. Is it perhaps an older typeface?

Yeah, it's a Mac quirk. Fonts used to be stored in a way that was only readable by the old Mac filesystem. With OSX, they put in a compatibility layer that lets the OS read those fonts--the "files" you see for those fonts are actually pointers to the real (ancient) data. OSX tries to be all clever about this, so you never see what's really going on, but as a result when you look at the files on Windows, all you see is the pointer file. As far as I know, there's literally no way to open the actual fonts on a Windows PC, since the files themselves belong to a completely incompatible filesystem.

All you can really do is try to find a newer version of the same font.

I saw that site and tried the trial software. It gives an error "Crossfont did not find any new font files. Mac font files must be copied to the PC in a special way so the resource fork is intact."

Not sure if it would work, but there's a mac app called FontXChange that might be able to translate it to something different for you if it's seeing the data on the mac. I keep my old '08 mac pro around for crap like that. I can give it a try if ya like.

http://www.fontgear.net/fontxchange.html

edit: looks like it's on windows too but that wouldn't help you here.

Edited by scofield