Sign in to follow this  
FlipSwitch

need advise on email blasts to clients

so im a mograpger freelancer here in NYC... i sent an email with 68 adresses to let people know I need to book time... anyway i send the email and i get a response that some emails arent valid but some are... i got a few responses but i also got told that someone didnt recieve the email... is the a certain protocole to send a balst out that doesnt automatically get sent into there spam email or not sent at all... can anyway recommend someone that can help me with an email blast that people will ecieve.. someone who specializes in this.... im afraid people arent recieving them and im loosing out on work

A service like MailChimp.com or ConstantContact.com are designed for email blasts that keep you in compliance with spam laws, etc. They also give you analytics on exactly who has read them, who clicked a link you had in there, etc. Its a beautiful thing.

If you are web savvy enough, and manage your own site / server, you can use http://sendy.co/. Its the exact same thing as the above services, but runs off your server and uses the Amazon SES service to dish the emails out.

Unfortunately, if just a couple of people hit that 'report spam' button, email clients like yahoo, gmail, etc just start automatically flagging it as spam for everyone else in the system. There is nothing you can do about that except offer an 'unsubscribe' link at the top and bottom of your marketing emails in hopes people click that instead of the spam button. I think the email systems give you a bit more leeway if you have that link there as well. Because of this, its best to use an email address specifically for your marketing blasts that is separate from your usual day-to-day emails so that your regular emails don't get sent to the trash as well.

You don't need to hire anyone. Mail Chimp and Constant Contact are both extremely easy to use. When you don't feel like paying them anymore, upgrade to Sendy.

Edited by AromaKat

As mentioned above, ESP's such as mailchimp/cc will keep you in check with can-spam and give you some insight into your email performance.

If you'd like to include some clips, you could include a poster frame and link out to the video as many email clients won't support video playback. For storyboards, you could either include the images in an HTML email or link out to specific areas of your portfolio.

If you use a video platform such as Wisita, you can include a turnstile at the end of your video that will collect email addresses to add to your list.

For the record, I work for an ESP called AWeber. I can vouch for their customer service who can help get you going in the right direction.

or you know... don't send email blasts...

i cant see any producer reading a clearly mass emailed email. they are busy enough as it is.

or you know... don't send email blasts...

i cant see any producer reading a clearly mass emailed email. they are busy enough as it is.

This.

If you want to email a bunch of places, you have to email them 1 by 1. You can copy and paste the same email to all of them if you like, and just replace names or titles and no one will notice, but you send out an email "blast" and you've already lost 90% of your target. You are essentially sending them spam, why should they look at it? If they get an email from a guy, addressed to them, asking them specifically to take a look at said guys work, and consider him for future work they will probably be more inclined to do it. Context is essential.