Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Scott

Windows font management--Suitcase Fusion? FontExplorer?

I desperately need a font management program for Windows. I've tried all the free options, and they've all been pretty horrid.

What are people using? There's a Windows version of FontExplorer now--it was always my favourite on Mac, but I'm not sure how well it ported over. Suitcase Fusion seems to be the popular choice. But both want to totally take over how fonts are managed on the computer, so trying a trial of anything is a bit of an investment / possible disaster. Any thoughts?

I can vouch for Suitcase Fusion. Its never let me down.

Totally taking over how fonts are managed is exactly what you want, though. Its a good thing. The old way is just having a ton of fonts installed in the windows font directory. With suitcase fusion, I just enable the fonts I want for the time being, then disable them when not using them.

You can point it to a huge fonts folder on your NAS or wherever. Put your fonts there. It won't slow down your machine having a ton of fonts, and previewing is waaay easier.

If you need to roll back, its not bad either. Just back up your current font folder in its current state somewhere.

In the beginning you may experience a few duplicate font warnings that you just have to weed through until its nice and organized.

I ended up biting on Suitcase Fusion. We'll see how it goes. I'm tempted by FontExplorer, but the Windows version seems like such an afterthought--and it looks like Suitcase integrates well with TypeKit's desktop fonts (which, as far as I can tell, FontExplorer doesn't).

I've tried NexusFont--I can't get over how poorly it's programmed. It doesn't use native Windows controls for anything, not even application menus.

I've tried NexusFont--I can't get over how poorly it's programmed. It doesn't use native Windows controls for anything, not even application menus.

You must have had a very different experience of it than I have. It's always been fast and reliable on my system.