Sign in to follow this  
simonfarussell

OpenEXR best compression?

What's the best compression to use in OpenEXR sequences?

I'm rendering out very large format sequences from C4D and I'm running out of HD space quick.

Currently I'm using Zip in 16 scan line blocks. More compressed than PSD sequences but I'm wondering if there's better options?

I can take a little bit of a hit on quality as it's a very noisy/blurred grade but I do need to stay at 32Bit.

Thanks

Did you try EXR half float (16 bit)? That should cut your file size in half.

32 bit is only needed when you have values greater than 65504. This can happen with tech passes like world XYZ or Z-Depth.

ZIP16 gave best compression with CGI when I did a test.

Edited by Sen

No need to render to full 32bit float. In C4D try the Lossy 16-bit float, zip, in blocks of 16 scan lines.

Half-float (16bit) is still float, so it can hold values above 1, all the way up to 65,504 like Sen mentioned.

Sure! In half float (16bit) EXR you can go up to ±16 stops above white. You can measure the RGB values of overbrights in the C4D picture viewer while pressing command/windows key and hovering over the brightest spots.

btw. On linearized camera footage the highest values I've measured (reflection glints from the sun) are around 60 (around 6 stops over 100% white) but it depends on the latitude of scene, camera chip or film stock.

Edited by Sen

I don't use cameras! Stupid real world! :)

But this is all good info. I'm having a lot of fun playing with glow effects in AE, so much more flexibility/creative scope in 32 bit. It's one of these things that I can't believe I didn't know already. Oh well, keep on learning!