Sign in to follow this  
shmo

running out of space

What are everyone's thoughts on Drobo?

http://www.drobo.com

I currently use a older Drobo FS only for backup, since I am connected to it wirelessly. However at some point I am looking to upgrade to something that I can work off of.

My advice would be to stay the hell away from Drobo. I used to use an FS purely as backup. It was slow as hell (no way I could work from it) but it seemed fine as a backup for a while. I even went through one disk failure/ replacement without a hitch, and was impressed until it happened again shortly afterward, which initiated a clown show of back and forth with Drobo tech support which basically amounted to them having me try the same damned thing over and over again with no results. It seems their bulletproof data protection isn't so bulletproof if the wrong disk dies on you, despite their claims. Luckily I had backed the Drobo up elsewhere after the first disk failure so I didn't really lose anything, but it's pretty disconcerting when a machine designed from the ground up as a reliable backup turns out to be less reliable than all your other gear. At the time I read a lot of online commentary from Drobo users and it seemed that my experience was pretty common. It's really a shame since there are some great things about their hardware/ software setup; it just doesn't seem to work all that well in the end.

I've always been the #1 QNAP advocate here, but now that I'm working from home I needed something way simpler, cheaper, and smaller.

Ended up getting two Western Digital Red 3TB drives and put them into a Mediasonic ProRaid eSATA enclosure. Grand total from NCIX was $380. They're running RAID 1, so it's 3tb total storage--enough to archive what I need and keep a backup of local files.

If I upgrade my internet so I can do reasonable offsite backup I'll probably switch it to RAID 0 at some point (so I'd have 6tb of space, but no redundancy).

It's eSATA, so it's the same thing as having another hard drive--just external. Same speeds and everything. I'm using it for storing assets, footage, and backup, while I keep my working files on an internal 2TB.

Hey Aromakat -- Any chance we could chat on the phone about the QNAP you have. We just bought an EVO 16 Bay server that is under performing and considering returning it for something else. Would love some input. Please PM me if thats cool

I've always been the #1 QNAP advocate here, but now that I'm working from home I needed something way simpler, cheaper, and smaller.

Ended up getting two Western Digital Red 3TB drives and put them into a Mediasonic ProRaid eSATA enclosure. Grand total from NCIX was $380. They're running RAID 1, so it's 3tb total storage--enough to archive what I need and keep a backup of local files.

If I upgrade my internet so I can do reasonable offsite backup I'll probably switch it to RAID 0 at some point (so I'd have 6tb of space, but no redundancy).

Awesome Aaron this looks great. Do you have an offsite backup as well?

Not at the moment, but I know that's a huge mistake. Going to look into it once E3 is done.

Yeah I'm in the same boat... fingers are crossed every day haha.