Sign in to follow this  
MOTUSknows

MOTUS - free new portfolio site built for mograph artists

MOTUS is the new FREE professional motion portfolio for motion graphics artists. It’s simple to use, organized, easy to update and elegant to view. Keep your personal website, keep your social networks, but use MOTUS when you want to showcase your professional motion resume portfolio and be found by employers looking to find motion professionals online for their freelance and fulltime opportunities. Once we gain enough momentum, MOTUS will target employers looking to hire freelance and fulltime staff so that you are found online.

It is exactly what motion professionals have been looking for. It is the world’s first portfolio directory built by Recruiters who know what a good motion portfolio should look like and what hiring staff look for in a strong motion portfolio.

Show your best work easily; Be found easily; Be MOTUS!

It’s simple, and it’s FREE!

I'm not sure the site itself makes me uneasy, but this message sets off my spam-sense. Especially since this post is literally a copy/paste from their "about" page. It feels, if anything, a bit disingenuous. The lack of contact info could simply be because it's a new site and what they have is essentially place-holder. But it does seem...dubious.

is it just me, or does anyone else get an uneasy feeling from this website?

You mean a portfolio site headed by a CEO who previously invested in ambulance companies? what's shady about that. Also dude's got a good track record of founding and selling companies ever 5 to 7 years so it's not like your data / copyright / anything will stay with this company forever. it'll belong to whoever they sell it too. and surely anyone w/ enough money to buy a company like this would only have the best intuitions for their user base.

Ah and I also see in his bio he owns a real estate firm. What's not to trust?! When in the last, oh...I dunno 5 to 7 years has ANYONE associated w/ real estate acted in a questionable manner?

I posted this to Mograph - Jon Lewis. I am a recruiter with over 15 years experience specializing in motion creative professionals. I created MOTUS with the vision of replacing myself in the future. Right now, companies hire me to find talent for them. I envision MOTUS being the Monster.com or Elance.com for motion designer/animators. Future employers will post a job and have the ability to see available talent that fits their needs (global scheduling coming later) and having first/second hold status being visible. In order to build this site, the CEO - Bill helped with the funding to get it the way I wanted the site to look.

The portfolio is important and employers want to view your work this way - so that's why I build MOTUS. Plus it's free, no sense paying to have a good looking portfolio when MOTUS already did the heavy lifting. Thanks again and please check it out, register, and let me know your feedback.

Best, Jon

Right now, companies hire me to find talent for them.

So my question to you is, what are you getting out of this "FREE" service? if you're a recruiter one would assume it's some kind of finders fee or a cut of the rate for the people you're hosting for "free". in which case is it really still a free service?

The portfolio is important and employers want to view your work this way - so that's why I build MOTUS. Plus it's free, no sense paying to have a good looking portfolio when MOTUS already did the heavy lifting.

What makes this a better option than any other free alternatives? cuz those give you a descent portfolio w/o the nebulous potential of a middle man. also as far as hold schedules go, why wouldn't someone who needs help with that go w/ a better established site that does the same thing? what makes this worth anyone's time?

I've been in contact with Jon before. He is a well known recruiter around the NYC area. I'm guessing the benefit of this site over behance or what foughthelaw linked is that it is specific to motion graphics work, not all creative disciplines. Not sure why people are getting all upset over this. Its very similar to c4dfreelancers.com or even the mographWiki.. And hopefully Jon's network of people that actually hire mographers will visit the site and send people work.

The service is free for the motion graphic professional, and right now free for employers to find talent. It will always be free for mograph professionals, but like Monster employers will eventually pay MOTUS to locate talent - instead of paying a headhunter.

MOTUS is specific for motion design professionals - not for everyone "creative" under the sun. Thank you for your feedback.

The service is free for the motion graphic professional, and right now free for employers to find talent. It will always be free for mograph professionals, but like Monster employers will eventually pay MOTUS to locate talent - instead of paying a headhunter.

MOTUS is specific for motion design professionals - not for everyone "creative" under the sun. Thank you for your feedback.

The end business model is commendable, but I feel calling it a "free professional motion portfolio for motion graphics artists" just to populate data now and later withold contact info for paywall purposes is a dirty, dirty trick. It just needs to be clear and up-front about what it is, rather than misleadingly positioned as portfolio hosting solution.

You could just populate the data yourself, being an experienced and well known recruiter and start the real business out the gate. I think this approach would also help maintain a level of credibility for all listings. With your unique background, there is a huge opportunity to personally vett all the listings, ensuring its a curated A+ only list - ultimately making the service more valuable and appealing to people who are looking to hire. That would definitely make motus stand out above the rest. Everything else is open to anybody and everybody, making it a bit difficult for employers to weed through the muck.

Edited by AromaKat

I love this and hate this at the same time.

I like the idea of a huge index of mograph artists. I like that it puts the work right up front.

The design needs work. Especially, as mentioned, the fact that it takes an extra click to see artist info. That's enough to make me never visit the site again.

Not to mention, "Show your best work easily; Be found easily; Be MOTUS! It’s simple, and it’s FREE!" Being initially introduced to the site as if it were spam isn't the best foot to start on.

I wonder how quickly something like this would fill up with accounts that go defunct the day after someone submits their stuff? If someone has a website, a Vimeo account, a YouTube account, and a Behance account, I doubt they're going to want to keep another account up to date.

I agree with all of Aaron's comments, although the tagline I can look past.

I doubt they're going to want to keep another account up to date.

To this end, it'd be cool if the user linked an album on their vimeo account that was specific to MOTUS. The user could manage which videos to add or delete from within their vimeo control panel. MOTUS could pull all of the videos from that album, so it would update accordingly. Just a thought.

im confused how you are going to charge employers...

a reel usually has credentials in it. Also after the 1st job, i think the contact will be direct.

but in any case, best of luck to you. I might add my stuff to the list, probably when i finally get to updating my reel, we'll see.

Hello Everyone!

Here is the MOTUS difference:

MOTUS is the only portfolio service specific to Broadcast & Motion designer/animators - all other creative portfolio services are for anyone who wants to set one up - illustrators/photographers/graphic designer etc.

There is no catch 22. MOTUS is a win win for motion professionals. You get a great looking portfolio, that's easy to update all the while employers from around the world use the MOTUS to find motion talent like you! And they contact you directly, so you deal direct.

We are not a social network and don't want to be - this is a professional portfolio that will be your online resume to the broadcast & motion world.

Thanks again for your feedback.

I just got an email from motus...

and i realized why i have an uneasy feeling about them.

i searched my inbox for emails from them, and they've emailed me before, first trying to sell it to me for $5/month, and then telling me how it's "now FREE".

im pretty sure i even unsubscribed from their list at least once, as i thought maybe i registered with them before or something. But now i know i didn't. I would never register for a paid folio site, which is brand new.. i have enough free folio sites. And if i want to pay, i'll build my own with wordpress.

so yea.. now i see why they give me an uneasy feeling..

cold emailing people with your product probably isn't the best way to gain trust...repeatedly...

Once we gain enough momentum, MOTUS will target employers looking to hire freelance and fulltime staff

There is no catch 22.

So what's the business model? Can you explain?

I can't quite see how you're going to work a recruitment website if you keep everyones contact details up. What's to stop clients going straight to designers?

Re-reading the thread I see this is the point AromaCat makes "populate data now and later withold contact info for paywall purposes"...

So what's the plan? Put it behind a firewall? Charge users/clients to see contact details? Keep it all free for the good of humanity?

Edited by simonfarussell