Sign in to follow this  
Carey

Projecting extruded text on to a round object (C4D)

Say you've got a logo extruded slightly, and you want it to lay flush against a portion of a sphere. Y'know, so the backside of the logo touches the sphere and the whole thing curves to meet that sphere. I'm trying to figure out how to do that, but all I can find so far is how to project a spline on to a surface. This seems simple. Is it not?

Aww man, thank you for that file. It doesn't seem to have come across right though, cuz it's just an extrusion where the face is separated from the sides, and it's not deformed to the surface of the sphere. Maybe my setup is deficient.

Surprisingly, projecting a spline onto the sphere and THEN extruding it works at first glance, but you get a whole mess of geometry from the extrusion that has little kinks and stuff. I guess it makes "bad geometry".

You can also try the Wrap deformer set to Spherical, with the settings in the Wrap deformer set to match your sphere. Be sure that your extruded logo has the spline intermediate points set to "subdivide" and the caps set to Quadrangles with Regular Grid checked. Adjust the resolution of the grid accordingly, keeping the Width setting the same as the Maximum Length setting of the spline(s).

Say you've got a logo extruded slightly, and you want it to lay flush against a portion of a sphere. Y'know, so the backside of the logo touches the sphere and the whole thing curves to meet that sphere. I'm trying to figure out how to do that, but all I can find so far is how to project a spline on to a surface. This seems simple. Is it not?

I've always used the Wrap deformer (sphere). I've been looking for a much easier/more efficient way for a while now.

This seems simple. Is it not?

Sure it is. Study the Collision deformer example, though there's at least two ways to to this much better...

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

maybe convert a loop edge of the sphere into a spline and then use it to spline wrap your extrusion?

of course you need subdivisions in the caps of the text

Edited by javier g