Sign in to follow this  
superegophobia

What's your favorite "trick"?

or if you cut/paste that new null, it will paste it to the layer above whichever you have selected.

To make C4D behave like AE in this example: Interface > Insert/Paste New Object at: (Previous)

(There is also a Luxx tutorial explaining further function of this.)

Did you know you can nudge keyframes in C4D with the arrow keys? Give me my beers back.

The layer that you currently have selected in the C4D layer manager is what layer new objects will be created under.

Yeah

• The power script combo of "folder setup" "save comp as project" and "rd_mergeProjects"

Whoa we have a winner... never woulda thought of that..

Mine is still the trick of rendering one instance of BG Renderer per processor core (hyperthread), it has saved me about a week of render time since I learnt it

Edited by iline

The short list of shit I can think of off the top of my head:

• Expressions controls to jimmy rig your own controls
  • expressions beyond the pick whip
    • .toFixed()
    • .toComp([0,0,0])
    • .split()
    • wiggling a wiggle
  • The power script combo of "folder setup" "save comp as project" and "rd_mergeProjects"
  • ft-Toolbar (has the power to speed up everything short but rendering)

Love these. I still don't know why ft-Toolbar isn't built in to AE.

Mine: Assigning quick keys in C4D for "scroll to first active", "select children", "connect objects and delete", and "unfold selected"

Render Frame script: http://footprint-productions.com/products/19-renderframe-free-script-for-cinema4d

This will render to the Picture Viewer a current frame still of your active Render Setting without saving a file or rendering an entire sequence. It's great for tweaking an animation so you don't have to have a separate non-saving render setting that you then accidently leave active when you send your project to render.

Just had to do a video wall with user generated content selfie videos, so that means video walls of both horizontal and *cringe* vertical videos. Arranging hundreds of these into video "walls" would have taken forever. Luckily I found a script that will put them together into a really nice collage randomly. http://motionboutique.com/collage-script-328/

Saved me literally days of organizing and developing grids of content, and I was able to quickly reshuffle if the client said "nah, don't like that one in the bottom left. Swap it out."

Also, holding down alt/option and click-dragging near a corner of a layer turns on snapping to that corner or side. Not sure when that got implemented into AE, but I'm assuming somewhere in the CC versions.

got a new one for unbreakable expressions w/ try/catch:

try{

//your expression goes here

}catch(err){

//whatever you want to happen w/ hard coded values in case your expression is dumb

};

obviously there's inherent danger in writing expressions that won't give an error when they're not working correct, so use at your own risk but I've been LOVING handing files off to people that still work even if they break my organization.

I can't claim credit for the proper syntax (thanks to Steve at Cake) but the idea was all mine.

I was doing a Particular emission and I either wanted a lot of particles or none. So starting with a wiggle, I ended up with this:

y = wiggle(30,450)

if ( y < 200){

x = 0

} else {

x = y

}

x

Basically, this forces Particular to zero out any emission below 200, keeping up to 450 the same value. It's the same result as converting the expressions to keyframes, grabbing all of the keys below 200 and making them zero.

Sidenote: converting a wiggle expression to keyframes, grabbing all of the keys below 200 and attempting to drag them all to zero will crash AE.

Twice.

Just had to do a video wall with user generated content selfie videos, so that means video walls of both horizontal and *cringe* vertical videos. Arranging hundreds of these into video "walls" would have taken forever. Luckily I found a script that will put them together into a really nice collage randomly. http://motionboutique.com/collage-script-328/

Nice one... I have a video wall project coming up and this looks pretty helpful.

Mine's a simple little script I wrote for AE to emulate the C4D's alt+g function. I binded (bound?) it to alt+g in after effects so that it runs whenever I hit the shortcut.

If your focus is on the project window, it groups whatever items you've got selected under a new folder. If you're focused on a comp, it groups whatever layers you have selected under a new null that is positioned at the center of the layers (though I haven't had the time to make it work for 3D layers yet).

If anyone's interested: http://pastebin.com/0PS59ngB [note: beware bugs, i.e. 3D layers]

Edited by mgrvsh

Mine is probably:

Using the 'Difference' transfer mode to sync up two clips of footage, or line up a graphic element to its reference.

Set the top layer to Difference and you will see only the information that is different from the clip below.

If the two images are the same, the screen will be totally black.

Mine is probably:

Using the 'Difference' transfer mode to sync up two clips of footage, or line up a graphic element to its reference.

Set the top layer to Difference and you will see only the information that is different from the clip below.

If the two images are the same, the screen will be totally black.

Use this trick a lot in Nuke when I'm trying to create a certain matte, or line things up. works really well.