Sign in to follow this  
joedonaldson

Best C4D refresher?

Hey all.

I try to keep the technical question limited but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a good and thorough C4D learning program.

I'm not really looking for tips and tricks. I'm mainly looking for a solid overview. About 3 years ago I completely uninstalled all 3D applications to focus on design and 2D and am primarily looking to get brought back up to speed. There have been about 100 C4D updates these past 2-3 years!

Does this still hold up? http://motionworks.net/shop/cinema-4d-in-one-day/

Lynda.com usually has a new 'complete training' series after each new version of a software. I think their programs are great. Well structured, easy to navigate between chapters etc and best of all, they have speed controls so you can watch in fast forward.

Lynda is great for most 2D creative apps but I don't think that applies to 3D apps from what I've seen -- the quality doesn't appear to be the same. Maybe their lineup has changed but I won't go to Lynda except for Adobe stuff (they have an AE course from the Chris and Trish now so that's bound to be pretty good).

For Free, I'd do the GSG Intro Course noted above. For a catch-all course in C4D I would trying Hello Luxx' new "Learn C4D in 24 Hours" title which includes R16 stuff and is 7+ Hrs. It appears now this is his new gig as all his FXPHD courses are no longer in their course guide. I could be wrong on that though / it could be a coincidence.

For a variety of profesional C4D titles I'd use Digital Tutors. Some of their courses are a little weak but many are top notch and their UI / video setup is very flexible. Also seem responsive to support requests.

Edited by Zmotive

if it helps my end goal would be to start using C4D again for look dev and incorporating 3D for 2Ds sake in my projects.

GSG is good for an overview. you appear to have a well developed aesthetic sense so you probably won't fall into the shiny sphere pit that most people who learn Cinema from them usually fall into. The good news is I only picked it up a year ago myself and it's SUPER easy to at least get through the basics and get up and running.

Cineversity is also a good resource.

Eyedesyn has some really nice tips and tricks tuts for design-y stuff too.

By far the best educational resource I've found is the FXPHD classes. They're more than free, but if you're self employed then work related education materials are a tax write off and extremely advisable.

(they have an AE course from the Chris and Trish now so that's bound to be pretty good)

b5af8c5a51915aa14b9bcf695fd01e954610f9db

I bought tims learn c4d in a day and it really is pretty well rounded. I'd recommend it vs poking around various tutorial sites. Doesn't go over any xpresso or particles, but to get a quick refresher I think it's good.

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I went with Tim's learn C4D in one day and it was great. Exactly what I needed for a good refresher. There are still a lot of things to pick up but hopefully noodling around in various tutorials will help with that.

Gonna do the one on materials and dynamics next!

Glad that worked out. Seemed like a good fit and I know Tim's work from FXPHD so was confident in recommending it.

[re: Lynda Chris and Trish comment]

b5af8c5a51915aa14b9bcf695fd01e954610f9db

Heheh. Well, I should qualify that by saying "should be pretty good for someone who hasn't been around AE in a while / needs a mile-wide, inch deep refresher." I can say I purchased their old reference book (the one that weights about 5 pounds) back in the day and while some of the examples were a little hokey / not applicable to anything we'd now consider a real-world use, many examples were decent and the depth of explanation of many features, was better than any other "learn AE" resource I saw at the time. However I have not watched any of their videos and recognize that the quality of an older book does not automagically make for a good video / video series.

Especially for this group, who is generally way beyond any book or video produced by AE authors who traditionally target hobbyists or new users. Hell, some of you could probably write your own books or produce your own videos.

Obama-Thumbs-Up.jpg

Edited by Zmotive