Sign in to follow this  
kitkats

Congratulations Todd

Title says it all.

I think it's good news that one of the primary pieces of software used and discussed by the denizens of this forum is now managed by someone who hangs out here, listens to our rumblings and engages in a very real way.

We'll probably never hear from him again.

I wouldn't count him out entirely. Part of why Todd is such a great choice for the job is his omnipresence in the community. The guy who hears the most feedback about the product is now managing it. that's great news for everyone

We'll probably never hear from him again.

Heh.

And thanks.

I couldn't do this without you. Seriously. The reason that I was hired into this new job was largely because I've been having conversations with y'all for the past 7 or 8 years, so I actually have a leg to stand on when I tell folks here at Adobe what our users need.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Todd the product manager prior to Steve? It was a 6 month rotating position as I understood it... Todd's last tenure brought us a ton of great little workflow improvements.

You're thinking of "product owner", which is a rotating position (currently held by Tim Kurkoski). The product owner can be a software engineer, quality engineer, UI designer... anyone on the team. The role of the product owner is to prioritize tasks within certain broad parameters. Those broad parameters are set by the product manager, which is an actual managerial position as opposed to a side gig.

So, as product owner, I needed to get a set of basic outlines from Steve Forde about what we _needed_ to do for the year, and then I made decisions within that. Now I set those basic outlines. And I defend those decisions within Adobe to the higher-ups and to other groups competing for the same resources, et cetera, et cetera.

For next year, the broad outlines include interactive performance and---when that's far enough along---removal of unneeded pain/complexity for common workflows (e.g., less need for precomposing, simpler and more powerful tracking, easier color adjustments)... plus some other things that I'll talk more about next year.

You're thinking of "product owner", which is a rotating position (currently held by Tim Kurkoski). The product owner can be a software engineer, quality engineer, UI designer... anyone on the team. The role of the product owner is to prioritize tasks within certain broad parameters. Those broad parameters are set by the product manager, which is an actual managerial position as opposed to a side gig.

So, as product owner, I needed to get a set of basic outlines from Steve Forde about what we _needed_ to do for the year, and then I made decisions within that. Now I set those basic outlines. And I defend those decisions within Adobe to the higher-ups and to other groups competing for the same resources, et cetera, et cetera.

For next year, the broad outlines include interactive performance and---when that's far enough along---removal of unneeded pain/complexity for common workflows (e.g., less need for precomposing, simpler and more powerful tracking, easier color adjustments)... plus some other things that I'll talk more about next year.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification, and my apologies for the mix-up.

I'm pretty stoked that you're now at the helm, considering you have been, to me, the face of Adobe my entire career. Congrats - well deserved.

Thanks and congrats to Steve too! It sounds like he is moving up to work on some of that classified next level shit.

...For next year, the broad outlines include interactive performance...

Dunno what the limits of your disclosure are Todd, but let me ask you a piece of advice: I'll be investing a few thousand pounds in a new workstation in the near future, and I'd like to get the best everyday, preview performance for AE I can out of it (not so worried about rendering). Should I be putting more money into the GPU(s) than of old? Traditionally, it's been mostly about CPU clock speed.

Congratulations indeed!

So, as product owner, I needed to get a set of basic outlines from Steve Forde about what we _needed_ to do for the year, and then I made decisions within that. Now I set those basic outlines. And I defend those decisions within Adobe to the higher-ups and to other groups competing for the same resources, et cetera, et cetera...

That sounds like a fun afternoon. I've got images of the infamous Hitler scene in my head now, --> 'another UI redesign?!?!!? Gott im Himmel but we only just finished the last one!!!'

Congrats Todd, and for shedding a bit of light on the decision making process. All sounds like a good move on Adobe's part, and glad to see the ole interactive performance at the top of the heap. Best of luck in your new gig.