Sign in to follow this  
Cosmo Ray

OS X Yosemite

I haven't had the time to glue myself to engadget today. Does anyone know if they fixed some of the bullshit that came with Mavericks? Having to convert animation codec files to view, constant reminders about battery life and upgrades, etc.

I haven't had the time to glue myself to engadget today. Does anyone know if they fixed some of the bullshit that came with Mavericks? Having to convert animation codec files to view, constant reminders about battery life and upgrades, etc.

Not trolling, serious question: Why do you still use Animation?

I never got consistent playback, even from the system drive, and the files were way to big. What's wrong with ProRes 4444?

can one of you beautiful people w/ yosemite and a server setup test collecting files?

I'm currently mashing my face against the wall w/ this bugL

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1508136

I just came across this bug for the first time the other day and it blew my mind that it is actually a thing. I have Yosemite installed on my personal machine and can confirm the bug is still there. Pretty ridiculous that it's still a thing.

FWIW I did find a solution to the bug in another thread. All you have to do is just not touch anything once you start collecting files. As soon as you move the mouse/pen it errors out. To be honest I haven't seen anything in the new OS that makes it worth the update anyways. I'm not a fan of the new UI, the new spotlight search doesn't work well. Apple's continuing the iOS-ification of OSX and abandoning the pro market... won't be upgrading on my work machine.

So after playing in Yosemite this weekend I haven't had any (major issues) ...

C4d and VRay work fine

AE and Photoshop haven't had any issues

Still on the ProRes pipeline so playback hasn't been an issue

Biggest issue is I'm noticing that Yosemite eats up more RAM than Mavericks so I'm purging more

I'm stick dickin around with it but seems ok (asides from being very iOS-y)

And mgrvsh, Long live snow leopard, we will never forget how well it worked

-Florio

Not trolling, serious question: Why do you still use Animation?

I never got consistent playback, even from the system drive, and the files were way to big. What's wrong with ProRes 4444?

Serious answer: I'm actually not sure. Security I guess. I don't know a ton about codecs, just that animation is lossless, and therefore safe.

Edited by Cosmo Ray

I've had no problems after a couple of days working in Cinema and the Adobe CC group. My New Mac Pro actually seems zippier now but that could easily be in my head. I actually think the design and most everything else I've discovered qualifies as an improvement, whereas the last couple of updates just seemed to add headaches and a new desktop picture.

I ran the beta on my laptop for a while, didn't have any problems with Ps or Ai. Don't really use Ae on my 2009 MBP, thats an exercise in futility.

From a UI standpoint, didn't love or hate the new stuff, except Safari. I really don't like the new Safari. Putting the bookmarks bar in the side console is a real pisser.

Putting the bookmarks bar in the side console is a real pisser.

This annoyed me too until I realized that clicking in the address/ search window calls up everything that used to be in the bookmarks bar. It's still a two click versus a one click operation to get to your bookmarks, but still better than using the side console.

Serious answer: I'm actually sure. Security I guess. I don't know a ton about codecs, just that animation is lossless, and therefore safe.

I hear you there, Ill say this. Ive been using 4444 for years and had 0 issues with quality. I thought that if it was good enough for the Arri Alexa as a capture format, it was good enough for my renders. It also played back just fine on every drive I tried. Ill add in this bit from the ProRes whitepaper.

The Apple ProRes 4444 codec offers the utmost possible quality for 4:4:4 sources and for workflows involving alpha channels. It includes the following features:

• Full-resolution, mastering-quality 4:4:4:4 RGBA color (an online-quality codec for editing and finishing 4:4:4 material, such as that originating from Sony HDCAM SR or digital cinema cameras such as RED ONE, Thomson Viper FilmStream, and Panavision Genesis cameras). The R, G, and B channels are lightly compressed, with an emphasis on being perceptually indistinguishable from the original material.

• Lossless alpha channel with real-time playback

• High-quality solution for storing and exchanging motion graphics and composites

• For 4:4:4 sources, a data rate that is roughly 50 percent higher than the data rate of Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)

• Direct encoding of, and decoding to, RGB pixel formats

• Support for any resolution, including SD, HD, 2K, 4K, and other resolutions

• A Gamma Correction setting in the codec’s advanced compression settings pane, which allows you to disable the 1.8 to 2.2 gamma adjustment that can occur if RGB material at 2.2 gamma is misinterpreted as 1.8. This setting is also available with the Apple ProRes 422 codec.

Unless you do a lot of work handing files off to people on windows, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by switching over. At least until this becomes the new hotness....

I hear you there, Ill say this. Ive been using 4444 for years and had 0 issues with quality. I thought that if it was good enough for the Arri Alexa as a capture format, it was good enough for my renders. It also played back just fine on every drive I tried. Ill add in this bit from the ProRes whitepaper.

Unless you do a lot of work handing files off to people on windows, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by switching over. At least until this becomes the new hotness....

There is a free Prores Decoder for PC, although I haven't used it since Windows 7. Also, I believe there are even ways to encode ProRes on the PC now.

-Spunj