Sign in to follow this  
vozzz

sound design

do it in premier and dynamic link the timeline into AE. that way you can have audio layers and controls.

make scratch tracks w/ your mouth, mess w/ them w/ filters. learn what they do. consider recording things on your phone. I've found reversing the sound of a spoon hitting a glass can do all sorts of cool shit.

go form there. consider playing w/ audition if you really wanna mess w/ stuff but premier's the way to go for just timing out and basic correction.

hm.. hitting stuff and recording it.. sounds like a solid start. :D

i got a decent mic for recording tutorials, so no need to use my phone. And i think a friend of mine has an h4n.

i just watched the south park episode about lorde, and it reminded me about people making beats and drum loops and stuff in garage band ( i think that's the app). What would you suggest as a windows equivilant?

I use to be a sound engineer before I crossed over into motion. Tools wise, ProTools,Logic even Nuendo are great DAW digital audio workstations. for recording audio tracks ProTools is great for editing slicing audio and syncing. Logic is more for syncing midi but has full featured tools as well. Nuendo is post production like foley/ADR. for sound creation goods Mics and Preamps help out a lot, and invest some time and learn a Sampler nearly all are software now, Native Instruments puts out Kontact which is great. Sound Design is a lot like motion a ton of different programs and devices to skin a cat different ways, But back to sound creation I'd also suggest just playing with synths,samplers and some stock sounds like drums lasers lion roars and layering the crap out of recorded and generated sounds in what ever app. For creative sound I loved using Reason cause you can route the signal in crazy ways and stack effects. Reakto/rAbleton is great too along with many plugins. I also play with hardware drum machines, syths, samplers and abuse them mis use them like loading different sounds other than drums in the drum machine and resampling the syths into the sampler or just recording anything into a sampler really.-and I've had a ton of fun using paul's extreme stretch app can take a song and slow it down like a thousand percent.

-Coin

Adobe Audition is what I primarly use when making multi-track mixes. The real audio people seem to all use protools, but when its just me, audition is more than capable of doing anything I need.

For playing with loops, and even dicking around on the midi keyboard, Fruity Loops Studio has been my go-to application since I was in my tweens.

It's times like these that i love the internet even more than ussual!

Thanks guys.

Now going to go look up what a synth, sampler, preamp is and so on =)

gonna see what fruity loops is too :D

Try out Steinberg Cubase. I used to use it a lot. It not only has multitrack audio recording, it also is a midi sequencer. If you have an H4N (awesome) you can use it as an audio interface. Pick up a cheap keyboard that has a USB out, and you have yourself a midi controller. There are plenty of plugins that you can sample your own sounds and pitch them and map them to a midi keyboard. Halion was one I used a few years ago. I also used a Emu Proteus X soundcard/module that had a ton of sound effects and instruments.

-Spunj

i was watching some video's and noticed lots of people using piano keyboards to make the sounds. I have zero experience in playing a piano, so i wonder how much it would benefit me to use a piano style keyboard over just a regular pc keyboard. any thoughts?

i think i need the iclone/poser equivilant in audio... :D

I like the way this cubase thing looks, seems a bit more friendly than fruity loops...

But then they also have "sequel" and additional instrument packs to buy...

Anyone know of the Greyscale gorilla of music/audio production?

+1 for Ableton Live. I love the simplicity of the interface, it is quite intuitive once you get the hang of it. Felt the same way as with c4d when i started using it :) The beat slicing / synching part is awesome, it makes music editing so much easier. Also keyframing is really just a few clicks, and you can hook up VSTi's and tweak the living sh*t out of your samples.

i was watching some video's and noticed lots of people using piano keyboards to make the sounds. I have zero experience in playing a piano, so i wonder how much it would benefit me to use a piano style keyboard over just a regular pc keyboard. any thoughts?

You can use something like http://vmpk.sourceforge.net/ to use a computer keyboard as a midi controller. I've never tried that out myself however. I feel much more comfortable with the piano style. My midi controller actually has weighted keys :)

You don't have to use a piano keys if don't want to you could use pads like on a drum machine. But I would suggest a controller with both actually. yeah abelton is great for fast creations look into proplellheads reason also that app has one my fav GUIs and I love to press tab and have the back wires flip around.

for packs I have to come back I have a list somewhere. but this on is for native instruments reaktor http://twistedtools.com/ it's like a kit for EDM type stuff they have some great sci-fi sound sets.

Edited by CoinStar