Sign in to follow this  
throb36

Object Buffer Blur

What's the best way to solve this problem?

In compositing, I'll add a blur or RSMB to a precomped object buffer, and the background of the composition starts to show through along the edges of the Object Buffer.

I could add a choker, but then I get black outlines around the Object Buffer when it's not being blurred. (And animating the choker on/off throughout would be annoying)

The other solution is to dupe the Object buffer, and remove the blur on the bottom layer. So everything is blurred, but the edges are not.

Is there a better solution to this?

Mucho gracias.

One alternate way would be to let Twixtor Pro (!) calculate the vector map and feed that back into RSMB. Though I'm really not sure what you are trying to do. one would in fact simply use the Object buffers to mask out specific parts of the Alpha channel and use that, not the OB directly...

Mylenium

Why are you blurring a object buffer matte? You mean you're adding RSMB motion blur to one hero object that is cut out of the colour pass using an object matte?

Also render your mattes (depth, alpha, motion vector, object buffers) in a cloned c4d scene, set the camera to 1440p (or whatever is double your resolution) with all the settings including AA turned off so it renders in 30 minutes or less from the Render Queue. Having supersampled mattes makes RSMB work nicely. And interpret all your mattes to 'Preserve RGB'.

Here's a patronising link to an ancient Creative Cow video by Aharon Rabinowitz just to try to impress my sagacity on you: moooooooooo