Sign in to follow this  
crmoberg

Copying versus Inspiration

Hello!

I hope I'm not posting in the wrong section, it has been some time since I last visited. I wanted to get some opinions on copying work versus using it as inspiration.

This is an intro for a conference I did about 2.5 years ago. Design was done by a very talented graphic designer and motion was handled by myself and a good friend. It was a fun project.

Recently, another piece was passed on to me because a co-worker recognized the similarities.

I contacted the creators and they claimed to have never seen my video before and my original comment from their feed stating it looked similar was deleted. Is this just a weird coincidence or is this copying? Or is this inspiration? Where do you draw the line... if there is one?

Granted everyone does get inspired by other peoples work and I have even had that GENIOUS idea only to have a co-worker say it was from a piece I had seen and forgotten about a long time ago...

What are peoples thoughts?

i dunno, if you turn off the music they are pretty different...

the only similar part is the circles with tracers behind them, and i doubt you are first to make those.

also im sure your designer was inspired by something when creating his work.

so good chance they had similar sources.

and in general with simple shapes moving... there are only so many possible combinations.

Im going to have to agree with vozzz, they dont seem all that similar to myself. theres obviously a heavy use of that rounded line in your piece, which in their's is used differently (and less intricately). But i doubt its a unique design element you made first.

The glitch effect, well thats certainly been done many times before. (and also quite different from yours)

Besides the music and both pieces starting off with the glitchy effect. They don't seem like they're copying you.

Edited by Encity

I go for inspiration. It's mostly the music and it's not like this music is new and never used before either. Animation is really different imho and yours is better.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

I can see the similarities but they are pretty different pieces. I wouldn't take it personally that's for sure. And if you do, feel good about it!

Generally speaking 'trends' have a large part to play on the sort of MGFX we do. For example; most of my clients want stuff displayed on iPads, iMacs, iPhones etc. Every clever transition and clever way of displaying info has been done to death. Before I start I work I often send over examples of completed work that helps set the mood and style, this doesn't have to be my own work and often isn't, but for clients with a serious lack of creative vision, the only way they seem to be able to function is to say "it's going to look a bit like that".

Vozzz you make a valid point, and I'm not saying I was the creator of circles or tracers, or the colour red, or the animation style. I could most definitely see this being a similar source of inspiration.

This was just something that kind of caught my eye for the first time in my career, with one of my pieces. I really appreciate all the replies, you've all made very good points. Hello.ahay, I most defintely would be flattered if this was a case of imitation :) .

Thanks for your time and input!

Chris.