Sign in to follow this  
vozzz

Fusion 7 now free...

Now that the free version has been out a few months has anyone used it on shots or in a workflow? I saw FXPHD had a new class on Fusion (http://www.fxphd.com/fxphd/courseDetails.php?idCourse=475) and wanted to see what people thought of the app from a mograph/vfx/compositing perspective. Nuke is so entrenched in the vfx industry I don't think studios with pipelines already built will switch over at the high end, well at least in the short term, but for niche markets and indie stuff wondering if it's worth the time investment over learning more Nuke stuff.

Seems like smaller mograph shops might pick Fusion up considering the free version being a pretty good gateway drug? Also Nuke Studio addressed a big issue by giving a proper timeline/editing area for shots similar to Premiere Pro-AE link. And I figure Blackmagic will eventually get Resolve to Fusion linked up considering they really revamped their editing tools in the latest Resolve. Maybe after they release the Mac version.

Seems like smaller mograph shops might pick Fusion up considering the free version being a pretty good gateway drug? Also Nuke Studio addressed a big issue by giving a proper timeline/editing area for shots similar to Premiere Pro-AE link. And I figure Blackmagic will eventually get Resolve to Fusion linked up considering they really revamped their editing tools in the latest Resolve. Maybe after they release the Mac version.

Yeah, not having a mac version is probably what's keeping it from really taking off. I imagine shops that have already switched to PC make it an obvious choice.

Now that the free version has been out a few months has anyone used it on shots or in a workflow? I saw FXPHD had a new class on Fusion (http://www.fxphd.com...hp?idCourse=475) and wanted to see what people thought of the app from a mograph/vfx/compositing perspective. Nuke is so entrenched in the vfx industry I don't think studios with pipelines already built will switch over at the high end, well at least in the short term, but for niche markets and indie stuff wondering if it's worth the time investment over learning more Nuke stuff.

Nuke studio is extremely attractive to us for the types of work we do, but the price tag on Nuke is forcing us to wait a bit and see what comes of Resolve because of the connection with the colorist. Its not that I prefer free over paid software, but Nuke is considerably more expensive than any other type of software package we have obtained thus far.

It looks to me that this Nuke Studio / Blackmagic buying fusion thing is going to start a landgrab war between VFX people and colorists. Its going to be weird. Professional full-time colorists tend to be able to bring a bit more of an artful flare to the table when looking at the big picture than a compositor, and clients (DPs, etc) speak more the same language with them than they do a VFX-oriented person. A lot of compositors and vfx people like to talk shit about colorists, and yes - we can kinda pull the same knobs and buttons in AE, nuke, or whatever. But working with real colorists over the past few years has made me realize their brains are operating on an entirely different wavelength with different creative goals than most within the mograph / vfx / compositing arena. Coloring is much, much, much more than leveling out and swinging hue, and requires a focus on the big picture.

My thinking is that I need to really start practicing thinking more like a colorist, because soon enough they are going to be taking food off my plate with the new fusion tools that are bound to be integrated into DaVinci, and I need to be able to return fire by taking on some color work because it happens to be integrated into my compositing package. The Blackmagic route, if it pans out the way I think it will, seems like a more suitable weapon for that.

Of course, my mindset is more in the commercial space where we are working on 30 second or less pieces. Having one person do vfx and coloring on anything longer isn't too feasible so its not so much a threat in the long-form world.

BTW - Thanks for the heads up on the FXPHD course. I want to look into it, but am fearful that its a waste of time because of how much it may change after Blackmagic starts noodling with it. It's still in the same state it would have been without the takeover.

Edited by AromaKat

......Windows only.........

962.gif

lol A massive letdown indeed. I was psyched to try it. Although it's good they're actively working on a port. Who knows... maybe they'll support OpenCL and/or dual GPUs with it. And then I woke up.

Edited by Zmotive