Sign in to follow this  
vozzz

Stupidly large screen

Anyone here work on really large screens?

im thinking: http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-42UB820V

They are selling them for around $800.

which is a great deal i think. both size a resolution wise its like having 4 23" screens.

i was also considering the 49" model, but its more around $1300 mark and in this case i think less is more.. =)

I remember going from 17" to 23" that took a bit of getting used to.

Just looking for some feedback.

At a certain point, if it's still sitting on your desk, the actual size of the monitor is so big that you find your eyes and head ping-ponging from one side of it to the other just to follow your mouse. And the distortion at the edges, just due to your extreme viewing angle, isn't helpful either. So there's sort of a useful limit to desktop monitor real estate unless you have the deepest desk in existence. The second monitor setup is still a neck-swiveling solution, but if you have all of your important stuff directly in front, and accessories/palettes off to the side, it's pretty decent. I think the situation where a 40"+ monitor is helpful is when you're mirroring on-screen content for an audience, like in an edit or flame bay.

4k and 5k monitors are availalble now, and at sizes that are still pretty useful. They're not dirt cheap, but if precision matters to you, and it should, that's probably going to work out better than a huge bargain basement screen.

I dont really need 4k. im fine with my dual 1080p setup.

just this seemed like an equivilant of 4 screens 2 on top, 2 on bottom ( in both size and resolution). And its IPS, how bad can it be?

And that's how i would probably be using it. There is software which allows you to set custom window snapping locations. So id be working on essentially the same realestate. ( well maybe i'd take up like 27") for my primary work, and then the rest of the stuff would be thrown around that.

I guess i'll have to try it out somewhere at a shop or something...

I think i'll get it after christmas ( maybe some sales), and worst case, i'll just use it as a tv for watching movies. Still don't have one of those..

I can't stand anything over 23". I have two side-by-side, and it's perfect. Big enough to see everything I need, small enough that I can see everything on a single screen without moving my head. There are a few people at Sequence with 30", and...no. Just no. I have no idea how they can work like that.

Ok, so as an experiment, and because my houshold needed another monitor, i decided to buy a cheap IPS screen. Instead of splashing $1500, i decided to see how bad an ips screen can be ( before this, being pretty convinced that all ips screens are great).

So i got an LG 27MP35HQ-B IPS LED, on paper same thing as my LG D2343P just without the 3d. Both same brand, both AH-IPS, both LED. But the quality of this screen really isn't anything special. I mean at $200 its really awesome that i can get any 27" screen. and for watching movies its pretty damn sweet. But its nothing like my other monitor. The colors aren't as accurate or as vibrant. And just isn't as nice to look at.

I tried to decipher all of LG's display models ( they have A LOT). But the only way i think to figure it out, is to see if the monitor has a DVI port on the back. Even if you are not planning on using it, it seems they only put them on the higher end monitors.

so far 27" isn't anything too different, at first it looks waay bigger than 23, but in an hour you get use to it.

so yeah, lesson is, not all IPS screens are created equal... =(

But hey i learnt this lesson on the cheap at least :D

Did you use a color calibrator or anything to tune? Or were you eyeing it to match your other LG?

I'm always on the lookout for a new monitors(s). I'm still on a 7 year old 24" Dell Ultrasharp that's served me well, was thinking i'd just buy the latest Ultrasharp as an upgrade, but still feeling around.

nah didn't use any color calibrating tools. maybe i should try. But its not just about the colro accuracy. I think i got it pretty close to good color now. been tweaking it through out the day.

but the contrast is still not as good. you can toggle the darks to Low or High ( 2 options). neither produce results as good as my other monitor.

I think im gonna either try and exchange it for another monitor ( although here in hungary their return policy really sucks). Or just sell it and buy another monitor. so i can confirm my theory about the dvi ports.

Then again, im thinking this gives me a more accurate portrayal of how most people will see what i make. Because recently i was told by one of my clients that my proposals all looked too pastel and eastery. In my old monitor i didn't agree, but i punched the colors anyway. but on this monitor, i can really see their point =)

Ok update:

tried using a color calibrator. results where ok, but mostly underwhelming.

but then i found this setting:

CBwoY.jpg

Which changed everything.

Turns out when using hdmi, sometimes windows mistakes the monitor for a tv and when set to RGB only send colors from 16-255. instead of from zero, because apparantly thats how tv's work.. ( hence the black icon for my screen up top).

so changing this had a great affect on the contrast. Things look amazingly better!

then i got rid of the color cast with the OSD controls. so now my whites and greys are white and grey.

And then i found this weird thing. If i pump up my brightness and contrast on the OSD and then reduce it in the nvidia control panel i get a really great image. I'd say it's about 95% as good as the one on my other monitor which had dvi port and was more expensive.

id attribute the 5% partly to the color cast that was yellow, so when i removed it, the yellows are a bit less saturated on this monitor than the other one. and the other part because my nice monitor has a glossy finish, which apparently makes colors really pop, and this new 27" is matte.

so yeah, overall my faith in IPS panels has been restored mostly =)

Time to go buy a 50" tv =)

It sounds like everything you are doing to make it look good for you will only end up looking shockingly different in the delivery format.

Get your monitors to look good for working, but always have a tv - with color settings set as a tv, as a video output via blackmagic, aja or whatever.

I wouldn't use a tv as a desktop monitor. Use real monitors for that. Only use a tv as a tv reference monitor.

Also, if eying 4k TVs, wait for Technicolor Certified models to come out. They are rolling out a certification system for hardware that guarantees at least 95% color accuracy.

http://www.technicolor.com/en/solutions-services/technology/technology-licensing/image-color

Edited by AromaKat

"Note: Content must be created in rec. 709 (movies/videos) or sRGB D65 (photos/web page)format for color accuracy."

Is that really a step forward? Neither of those color spaces are super awesome. I feel like this is more lipstick on a pig. Wheres the good stuff? Rec2020 (if it ever gets approved?) or even Adobe RGB or some other future shit that the brilliant folks out there are working on.

UHD is Rec2020.

Everything for preview output (ie: what the client sees) should be set up to work in the color space of the delivery format, regardless of our feelings on the spec. Other spaces are good for while working (desktop monitors).

All in all, we can only do our best to try to see what the couch potato will see. Everyone likes cranking their home set's settings to weird values so it doesn't matter anyway. This Technicolor initiative is appealing to me since they are trying to remove that nonsense from consumer's control. Then, maybe NTSC can stand for something other than 'Not The Same Color'. :P

It sounds like everything you are doing to make it look good for you will only end up looking shockingly different in the delivery format.

Get your monitors to look good for working, but always have a tv - with color settings set as a tv, as a video output via blackmagic, aja or whatever.

I wouldn't use a tv as a desktop monitor. Use real monitors for that. Only use a tv as a tv reference monitor.

Also, if eying 4k TVs, wait for Technicolor Certified models to come out. They are rolling out a certification system for hardware that guarantees at least 95% color accuracy.

http://www.technicolor.com/en/solutions-services/technology/technology-licensing/image-color

Everything is very subjective here... Only professionals have real monitors. The majority of people use really shitty monitors.

What i tried to do was match this monitor to a more expensive one that looked great right out of the box. Also to make sure there isn't too much discrepancy between it and numerous mobile phones i have, which have really nice screens.

What else can i do? I don't do print... its all relative as you mentioned... couch potatoes have all kinds of crap...

UHD is Rec2020.

Everything for preview output (ie: what the client sees) should be set up to work in the color space of the delivery format, regardless of our feelings on the spec. Other spaces are good for while working (desktop monitors).

All in all, we can only do our best to try to see what the couch potato will see. Everyone likes cranking their home set's settings to weird values so it doesn't matter anyway. This Technicolor initiative is appealing to me since they are trying to remove that nonsense from consumer's control. Then, maybe NTSC can stand for something other than 'Not The Same Color'. :P

Ahh, so it is. The article I read made it sound like ITU was still waffling on whether or not they should go forward with the spec. Learn something new every day.

I hear you on the unmanageable aspects of delivery (the end user) but I don't think we should cut ourselves off at the knees because some people (maybe MOST people) won't even notice. I don't think rolling out a certification based on a color space that is about to be obsolete is good for anyone. Instead of pulling the greyhair with the 4:3 vhf set into the 21st century we keep coming up with ways to keep things shitty. Thats my 2 cents.

I hear you on the unmanageable aspects of delivery (the end user) but I don't think we should cut ourselves off at the knees because some people (maybe MOST people) won't even notice. I don't think rolling out a certification based on a color space that is about to be obsolete is good for anyone. Instead of pulling the greyhair with the 4:3 vhf set into the 21st century we keep coming up with ways to keep things shitty. Thats my 2 cents.

Trust me, the frustration is mutual, but I gave up long ago on trying to explain this to every client who walks through the door. There is no way of explaining to someone less technical without appearing clueless and unprofessional. At least it provides a standard, a constant that we can fall back on, point to, and pass blame along to non-calibrated tv sets outside of these walls when we get the "why does it look different on my kid's bedroom tv set?" phone call.

Also - the certification will apply to rec2020. Its a bit late to do rec709, but I think having an entity to oversee quality standards of color reproduction will be massively beneficial. The question, though, is whether Technicolor is refusing to certify products that don't hold up to standards or if they are just accepting money to have their logo slapped on the screen.

Edited by AromaKat

Ok, so i went ahead and bought a 49UB830V....

jiZqXJBnAnhsy.jpg

the IPS panel looks great. once you turn off all the "TV" settings, like smoothing and all that crap. It looks really nice. Definitlty needs the brightness reduced waaay down, and the contrast. And it becomes quite acceptable.

Obviously it just standing on your desk, looks like something from a Sci-fi movie. Which is cool. Although it does block out like half my window... so there is that... . And my desk lamp, doesn't reach over the top of it.

Obviously movies look great. and this amount of working space for Cinema4D is damn amazing! But im not sure i'd reccomend it to people in our field. I feel like a ultrawide 34" would probably be a better purchase. like this one: http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM95-P-ultrawide-monitor

costs just a bit more. It's a bit smaller. But im really not sure i need all the vertical realestate. The horizontal realestate is awesome! But then again, you get more of that with 2 1080p screens side by side...

Other observation: sitting 75cm/30 inches away from it, it is very usable. And playing Battlefield 4 on it is pretty damn awesome too!

conclusion: Probably not the best decision i've ever made. But it'll give me a chance to test out if this online retailer i found here in hungary actually has a functional return policy. And if not, well then it's still a damn awesome for watching movies.

I think i'll give it another couple of days, keep playing with settings, do some work on it and report back.

Ok, more updates.

seems like atleast 90% of the problems i was having where software related rather than the screen itself.

for example a lot of cursors mess up on the tv, and i thought it was a tv thing, but then realized it was a windows thing. updating windows kinda helped. but then i replaced the default cursors with some downloaded ones and they are playing real nice. especially problematic was the one that comes up over text fields, it was pretty much invisible for some reason. Also the dark cursors in the windows settings for some strange reason are transparent. And the cursor with a little + which appears when you drag a file over into cinema4d from a folder, is squashed and miss colored.

the only real problem i have left, is that sometimes the text in a folder. for example if you have image sequences all the numbers ( 001,002,003) have some weird rainbow effect blue to yellow thing going. I think thats a font issue though more than anything, because im not getting that problem in the browser.

calibrating cleartype goes some way to eliminating the problem, but not completely.

Cinema4D looks absolutely stunning on this screen. Keeping it just to work with cinema i think is worth it. Just sooo much room for timelines and object managers and everything. just GREAT!

Ok after lots of searching i found the issue. This model only supports: YCbCr 4:2:0, hence the discoloration of the text sometimes. bummer, so it is a tv problem..

i can switch it 30hz ( so max 30fps) and everything looks great. apart from the 30fps issue. It's actually a lot more noticable than i expected, just dragging windows around isn't very smooth.

i guess off to find one which supports 4:4:4 =)

Edited by vozzz