Sign in to follow this  
Carey

Honeycomb shape in AE

I hate to add another "how do you..." kind of question here, but I'm stumped and I know one of you smart asses is gonna be like "you're an idiot, why don't you...?"

Is there a way to procedurally duplicate or tile hexagonal shapes in AE such that they make a honeycomb pattern where all edges abutt each other? Specifically, is there a method that still allows for some animation amongst the shapes, like how you might use a reference layer to affect position/rotation/opacity when using Card Dance? I can easily draw the honeycomb pattern, but then it's not very animateable.

A cast iron example of one of those 'fuck it, I'll do it in Cinema' problems. The convenience you lose by not working in AE is immediately offset by the simplicity of a Cinema/mograph setup.

Just the other day I tweeted (_ugh_) to Red Giant that a non-square grid generator would make a great addition to Universe. So if they do it - thank me :D

Look at you lovely people, with your readymade solutions. Tried the shape layer repeaters, the hextex, and mylenium's ballsy custom rig. Pretty great. But indeed, it's probably going to have to be a C4D mograph solution, I fear.

Just the other day I tweeted (_ugh_) to Red Giant that a non-square grid generator would make a great addition to Universe. So if they do it - thank me :D

I'm sure they'd rather add the ump-teenth ridiculous glow effect.

Mylenium

C4D mograph solution it is!

Additional question, though, and even more of a brain fart: If you've got a cloned grid of objects, is there an effector setup that would allow them to "blink" into existence semi-randomly, like a bunch of fluorescent bulbs all trying to turn on? Embarassingly, i can't seem to wrap my head around this simple problem. It's been a while since I C4Ded.

Apply a Random effector and set it to only modify the Weight parameter, then add whatever other effector you want to apply after that like a Delay effector.

Mylenium

I'm sure they'd rather add the ump-teenth ridiculous glow effect.

Mylenium

Stay classy, Mylenium.

"Ugh"? Are we like the friend that no one likes any more?

We are currently adding to the vector drawing abilities of Universe, so this would be totally doable. If you have any further specs or requirements, shoot them to harry (at) redgiant.com

Also, I'll make sure to include 3 built-in glows for it, just for Mylenium.

"Ugh"? Are we like the friend that no one likes any more?

I'm assuming the "ugh" was linked to the phrase "tweeted" (and how it has become a verb) and not "Red Giant". It's a moderately ridiculous that you can get better customer support by bitching on twitter than you can by reaching out directly to the company. This is a general observation and not pointed directly at RG. I'm also putting words in someones mouth, so theres that too.

Considering that RG is a greedy corporate blob these days, chances are good...

Mylenium

I don't really know who at Red Giant peed in your cheerios. It really couldn't be a more talented, hard-working and modest group of people that if you actually met in person, you'd probably like. I am sorry you feel this way. Nothing could be further from the truth.

So on that note, I'll be heading back to my yacht for the rest afternoon. I've got a meeting with CEO and we will be talking about what is the best Ferrari to buy.

Just the bizarre love-triangle with me, Adobe, some third-party companies (including and specifically RG) and the overall disappointment of feeling used and then thrown away. You know it, I know it. No need for any further explanations, least of all in public. And then of course the general disappointment that none of you were there for me when I needed you most. Not you, not many others. So pardon me for being bitter, acerbic and cranky and not trusting any of you for an inch anymore... Wish you all the best...

Mylenium

I'm assuming the "ugh" was linked to the phrase "tweeted" (and how it has become a verb) and not "Red Giant". It's a moderately ridiculous that you can get better customer support by bitching on twitter than you can by reaching out directly to the company. This is a general observation and not pointed directly at RG. I'm also putting words in someones mouth, so theres that too.

Yeah, they were pretty much the right words ;-) Tweeting feels like something I should have grown out of once I started shaving, but hey it's social innit and seems to work.

Got no problems with Red Giant, Universe seems to be coming along nicely. Not all for us lot of course, but there's enough there to be worth coming along for the ride, and Harry of course you can have two ferraris if you like ;-) I'll bung you my requests.

Cheers! Chris