Sign in to follow this  
Carey

Video distribution channels

So I've been doing these AMAAAAAZING design primer videos but I'm kinda juggling them with doing work that actually pays, and I think I'm gonna try to put a really big one together with project files and all that hot mess, like a mini class, but for retarded cheap like $20, like happy hour beers cheap. Vimeo seems like an ok way to do it, but you gotta keep paying them for a pro account and then they take 10% on top, and I'd still need a way to give access to project files.

Anyone have suggestions of other quality ways to do this?

Vimeo seems to be an easier avenue since you can just distribute them without having to have a teaching surface ok and endorse it

But I'd definitely be willing to throw you some cash for some more binky knowledge

problem with vimeo is you need to keep paying every year. not a problem if you use it a lot, but with gum road, its more of a leave it and forget it kinda thing.

If it were me doing it, I'd opt for building a website using an open source digital goods ecommerce solution or wordpress plugin that takes the payment and allows for download of the files and advertise. BuySellAds.com has a huge selection of sites to target the graphic design community.

The problem I see with vimeo is the inability to market or advertise. You will need to advertise. People need a place to learn, preview, and learn about what you are trying to sell and not just a vimeo paywall page.

I'd do it via vimeo and just advertise on my own site/blog/twitter/here etc but that's mainly as I don't have the skills (or time to learn) to do an ecommerce solution. Obviously AromaKat's solution would be best if you can do this. Vimeo does have the advantage of being the 'right kind of place', just sorta feeling right.

if you have the time and patience, setting up a wordpress site, with woocommerce and a theme like "enfold" isn't too difficult. just need to buy hosting and a domain. But unless you're planning on doing a lot of these, probably more trouble than its worth.

If it were me doing it, I'd opt for building a website using an open source digital goods ecommerce solution or wordpress plugin that takes the payment and allows for download of the files and advertise.

Of course you would, hahaha! Lookit this sexy bitch wavin' his skillz around like a stripper. My pockets ain't deep enough for your high style life. ;)

All I really want is video streaming with a paywall. Gumroad seems to be able to pull that off, although it might not look great. I doubt there's a perfect non-custom solution, but I also doubt I want to front the kind of cash I imagine it takes for a custom build.

Thank you so much for the suggests!

We recently used vimeo on demand to sell a bunch of content and I've had mixed feelings about it. The downside: design customization is limited, promo/discount codes are limited to a certain # for each title, conversions aren't tracked in google analytics. The upside: Since it's tied to a vimeo account, ordering and accessing videos is super easy for users, it's added to your watch later list or you can offer a file download. So for the experience of viewing/downloading videos, I like it and I'd probably use it again. Of course it requires the pro account and takes a 10% cut, but if you can make a go of it with your pricing, it's not too bad.

Maybe Amazon Web Services would work for you?

I just started using the S3 storage service, along with CloudFront for content delivery, to send files to my clients.

CloudFront is supposed to be optimized for content delivery.

And you can also set permissions for who can acccess the files.

I think you could use the IAM service to create roles for people that have purchased, to gain access to all the files.

Obviously, you'd still need an online store with a shopping cart for people to purchase.

But you could handle that easily using even just Paypal, or like other people mentioned, use something like Squarespace.

Whatever the form, can it be in some sort of format I could use in an academic environment (Like… kinda published so I could purchase it or cite it?) I'm already showing your storyboards video in class. These video are already more useful than 90% of the content in any of the four or so motion graphics textbooks.