Sign in to follow this  
Nacho

Problem: nulls "sliding" when opening my scene via Cineware

Hi

I'm having weird null-sliding problems working with a Cinema 4D scene in After Effects via Cineware.

I'm using nulls with external compositing tags so that when I work in AE I can "anchor" images to those nulls. That gives me more control over the position / rotation / masking of those images (at least I work faster that way).

Everything works fine until frame 2020, there starts the slightly drunken null problem. You can see it clearly at 2030 (the red 100x100px solid should be resting on the black "floor").

this is my C4D scene

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8zJL1UWwvsPUVdwRXVjXzJLLTg/view?usp=sharing

and this is the AE project

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8zJL1UWwvsPNzJlcXdlTW1PNFk/view?usp=sharing

this is a movie preview of what I'm doing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8zJL1UWwvsPVUpDbTVscGdGMGs/view?usp=sharing

thanks in advance for your help

There are times when you need to re-vert back to the past import way, some things just don't transfer over properly. Sometimes faster to try that first rather than troubleshoot the whole thing.

A thing I've started doing is to duplicate (in C4D) whatever object you need to parent stuff to in AE, and then bake all the keyframes on that object. The baked object seems to work really well when you "extract" it from the C4D file, while the unbaked one slips around and doesn't quite lock up. By duplicating the object you can always go back to the original and tweak if you need to.

It's always really weird to me when stuff like this doesn't work the way it should. I mean, it's just math, right? Why the heck doesn't it work?!!??

joey

Yeah, it's unfortunate. Sometime the cineware stuff just does not work. If you save an AEC and just import the old way it will. Found this out the hard way when working on some client stuff a while back.

The 'new' Cineware way will only work when there's direct pos/scale/rot keyframes for the camera & null objects. Any expressions, targeting, camera rigs etc seems to be ignored during the extract.

Limits the usefulness a lot, the exception is for scenes tracked in Syntheyes or Maxon's own tracker - then there's a keyframe for every frame, and you can move/add new tracking points at will, in Cinema or AE, and then re-extract to get the data out into AE - which is quite a nice workflow.

Awesome, Cineware data transfer is effectively useless. Maxon/Adobe should be straight up ashamed, don't release the product if it's a half assed solution.

They should be ashamed of marketing it as a full-assed solution for 3D users when there is clearly one ass-cheek missing.

For people who are predominately AE users and want a bit of "real" 3D, it might be useful.

If it hadn't been so hyped before it's release, I wouldn't have been so hugely disappointed with it.

I look at Cineware as a stepping stone. Sure, it's got very basic issues now, but it's a start. Picture a future where Cinema has a decent interactive renderer, like VRay RT or Modo, and dropping a Cinema comp into an AE timeline pulls in a progressive render preview of the Cinema file, right in AE. So the C4D layer is live, and progressively refining, perhaps as an approximate preview using the graphics card. Add some 3D content in AE, colour correct, jump back to Cinema to tweak the camera which then updates live in AE, so the cameras stay aligned. Adjust lighting in either app and the other auto-updates. Extract depth data, illumination data directly into AE. Set the render settings in one application. Use distributed nodes for preview and final render, just like VRay3.

Then I wake up, realise Maxon's ambitions ended with 'change logo from blue to red', and Adobe is grinding gears trying to work out what shape keyframes should be in CC2015.2a.

I had a dream ;-)