Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Scott

AE Timewarp -> Time Remap

I have an EDL I've brought into After Effects with a bunch of footage playing at various speeds. All the speed ramps came into AE as Timewarps, but to get them to line up with my AE project, I need to convert them to Time Remaps. Only, Timewarp has everything in percentages of speed, while Time Remap needs to know what the frames are.

There has to be a way to convert between the two, but my brain is spinning out. I think this should, in theory, get me what I'm after:

(valueAtTime(time-1))*thisComp.layer("timewarp").effect("Timewarp")("Speed")/100

...but it hangs, because every frame relies on the frame before it for calculation.

Any thoughts?

If I understand this correctly, you should really just be able to take the "Speed" value from Timewarp and multiply by the current time. Basically, how fast you are going times how long you are traveling.

spd = thisComp.layer("Timewarp").effect("Timewarp")("Speed")/100;

spd * time

Edit: Just noticed that you said "Speed RAMP". That's a different mess all together. It might be possible, but this would be really complicated to accumulate the values while they change in value.

TL;DR: It's really hard.

Edited by graymachine

Yeah, I've been eyeballing it. The fact that the speed percentage can change every frame means that you always need to know the value of the previous frame. Pretty sure the solution would have to be a script rather than an expression, though I don't have a ton of time to write it right now.

sorry if you are already aware of this, but if having to do it manually,

its a perfect place to use the difference matte technique i put in the tips and tricks thread.

set your reference layer to the difference transfer mode and you can see how close the two are in sync by how much of the screen is black.