Sign in to follow this  
simonfarussell

NTSC

If Cinema is treating the footage as if it were X fps, and you have project and render settings at X fps then Cinema should essentially not modify anything, 30 fps makes most sense but theoretically you could tell Cinema it was 27 fps or any other integer. You do need to match the project fps, the texture 'Movie Frame Rate' fps and for simplicity's sake the render setting fps.

You should then be able to interpret footage as 29.97 in AE and it should sort of reverse-engineer itself.

I believe the render setting fps simply applies the metadata that tells other apps what the fps should be, so you could set that to 29.97 (if I'm right.) If you're rendering image sequences, it makes no difference anyway.

Edited by kitkats

you guys should start one of those white house petitions to mandate the abolishment of 29.97fps and making all broadcast 25fps. Looks better, and saves on render time =)

We're both in London! Seems like there's just a lot of work coming from the U.S at the moment, I'm in a 29.97 world too. I agree it does look more video-y because of the extra frames, I prefer 24 / 25 for sure. I don't see HFR taking off any more than 3D has

Thanks Kit Kats, makes sense. And yeah, whoever thought 29.97 was a good idea. I guess it's not that surprising given the folks in the US still haven't gone metric.

And yeah, it's all bloody non-standard frame rates and aspect ratios for me now days. Bring back 720x576 and my machine would fly!

The complicated history of television! I'm trying to make an animation that explains how mechanical TV works with Nipkow discs and photo-receptors at the moment, which at least reminds me that we are all standing on the shoulders of giants, as they say. Guess there were just too many giants for them all to agree on everything.

I wish everything was just 24p across the board all the time, movies TV everything.

I still can't fathom why interlacing is in the HDTV spec at all...if you want higher frame-rates for sports or games go for it but why not just make it all progressive?

On the other hand all the various technical mumbo jumbo sends a strong message to clients "we need a professional who understands this",at least they get you can't deliver a broadcast spot from imovie:)

And yeah, whoever thought 29.97 was a good idea.

Like plenty of technology considerations, it was about backward compatibility and not pissing off your existing customer base who may not have been able to afford a new color set. With the switchover to color, the chroma information in the signal was piggybacked as a subcarrier, so everyone wouldn't have to buy new televisions overnight. B&W sets just ignored the extra chrominance info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC#History

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC#Color_encoding

Of course, 65 years later might be pushing things a bit...

I'm trying to make an animation that explains how mechanical TV works with Nipkow discs and photo-receptors at the moment, which at least reminds me that we are all standing on the shoulders of giants, as they say.

Sounds interesting, and shoulders of giants indeed!

The frame rates of a particular territory was determined by the electrical infrastructure. The UK's electricity grid runs at a 50hz cycle, while the US is at 60hz. Original TVs scanned up and down to the AC current's cycle. This is why PAL is 25fps and NTSC is 30 fps. The US used to be 30fps, but something about color TV made things wonky, which reducing the frame rate by .03 fps fixed.