Sign in to follow this  
vozzz

Thea 1.4 release - displacement and super fast

Thea 1.4 is Released

Our milestone edition 1.4 brings powerful new features along with substantial improvements for Thea Presto engine. These improvements include Displacement, Motion Blur, Render Channels, Relight Support and faster Interactive Render among others. The new edition is now available and to celebrate we have launched promotional offers!
What i especially love about it, is unlike octane it has a cpu option which you can switch to without any downtime and render out your project that way if you run out of GPU memory. It also supports bucket rendering overcoming the memory limitations when rendering stuff at really high resolutions. Or when outputting multipass rendering
Only downside at the moment, is the material editor feels a bit clunky at the moment. But the developer is very responsive to user feedback.
AND its on sale right now, 40% off for c4d bundle.

yeah, presto is included.

I also kick myself for not buying octane when it was $50 =)

There are still some limitations in the c4d plugin. Like i still haven't figured out how to make a custom sky gradient without loading an image in. ( seems to be the only way). and some other small details. But in the last version they did make the sun color/strength customizable per my request which is GREAT! Before it just defaulted to physical sun whenever i put an infinite light in.

and i really want this to take off in the mograph community, because the CPU fallback option is priceless in my opinion. If im doing an animation and lets say, 90% of my stuff fits in the GPU, i will render those there, and then for the heavier stuff, i'll be able to render on the CPU without re-doing all my lighting and materials to match a different render engine.

Right now it looks like octane is taking a stronger position, thanks to people like beeple promoting its use. And although octane does great stuff, and i think im gonna have to buy it and learn it anyway, i would really love Thea to take a strong position. So go throw your money at them and give mograph style feedback. So we can get any features that are lacking right now.

Anyone have any experience with Furryball GPU renderer? They just released a pretty sweet free non commercial license was curious how this this stacks up VS. Thea and Octane

Price is a bit more than Octane and it is PC only but other than that curious how people feel they stack up.

i was about to test it out. But since it doesn't seem to offer any benefits over thea ( i thought it had hair support at first). It has not real draw for me. If they bring in volumetrics/hair rendering, than maybe thats worth looking at. Otherwise its GPU only. So if you're out of memory you're boned..

If i was a maya user i'd be all over that. but as it stands.. meh...

you can see feature set here: http://furryball.aaa-studio.eu/aboutFurryBall/features.html

also i don't see any render farms supporting it. so kinda kills any opportunity to use in a workflow..

i was about to test it out. But since it doesn't seem to offer any benefits over thea ( i thought it had hair support at first). It has not real draw for me. If they bring in volumetrics/hair rendering, than maybe thats worth looking at. Otherwise its GPU only. So if you're out of memory you're boned..

If i was a maya user i'd be all over that. but as it stands.. meh...

you can see feature set here: http://furryball.aaa...l/features.html

also i don't see any render farms supporting it. so kinda kills any opportunity to use in a workflow..

Well considering furryball is the most expensive of the three sounds like that's a resounding don't bother, unless you really want something free just for personal projects.