Sign in to follow this  
kossome

Video Holiday Card using Octane

Very nice.

Any problems with Octane during this? How long did it take to render?

Maybe things have since changed, but when I was first looking at octane, things were limited enough to make me concerned it would possibly paint me into a corner if we had certain revision requests that would require falling back to AR. Is this no longer the case?

Thanks! No problems for the most part. I even used R16 even though it's technically not supported yet on Mac. The middle section took about 19 hours to render which isn't bad for one computer with 2 video cards. I did re-render the ending at a higher sample rate to reduce grain after the fact, but that was only because all the daylight basically goes away. It's a little difficult to get used to lighting-wise since it's more of a natural lighting setup. You have to basically build your own lights in that you don't have a "spot light" or anything. Just area lights that need custom falloff maps. The one thing I don't like is that there are yet to be light exclusions. If you want to emphasize something with a little extra light, you have to add that light to the entire scene very carefully. Overall, it was still WAY faster to render than anything else. It's so nice to see what your render will look like in near realtime. I really love using Octane. Any chance I get I'll use it over the standard from now on. It feels so slow to go back to the old way of doing things now.

Thanks.

The middle section took about 19 hours to render which isn't bad for one computer with 2 video cards.
[........]

It's so nice to see what your render will look like in near realtime.

Can you elaborate? Why did it take so long to render if you can see it in near realtime? I understand its grainy and all, but that sounds like a contradiction. 19 hours does seem like a really long time to me, even for GI within AR, but maybe I'm just spoiled by the farm.

what video cards are you using? ( i think that may shed some light).

that's like 1:30 a frame... i guess thats ok... still thought too long to wait for me. I'd just farm it out.

can you set a time limit on render time per frame?

what video cards are you using? ( i think that may shed some light).

that's like 1:30 a frame... i guess thats ok... still thought too long to wait for me. I'd just farm it out.

can you set a time limit on render time per frame?

Using GTX 760's because they're compatible with the older style Mac Pro. 1:30 a frame is pretty good compared to what it would be with a CPU. Let it go overnight and it's almost done by the time you get back the next morning. You can set a time limit on frames if you're under a tight deadline. I haven't tried it though. I did an overview of the setup here...

I plan on doing a step by step guide next week for those who still want to use Macs for GPU rendering and can't go to a trashcan since they don't have CUDA cards. It also makes a killer game machine on the PC side for doing stuff like Oculus Rift.

would love to come by and check out the setups in the new year. I am debating between buying Octane or VRay and some new GPUs this year.

I used VRAY for a while and it's great, but it's not GPU. It's night and day. Personally, I think Octane looks better. The great part is, if you know VRAY, Octane materials and tags are very similar and the rendering options are WAY less complicated because there's less to worry about as far as final gathers, caches, flicker, and all the other BS settings you have to deal with using GI.

Right now its 40% off for the c4d version. https://www.thearender.com/site/index.php/live-plugins/thea-for-cinema4d

so around $350USD i guess. its 245 euro..

Best thing about it, is it has a CPU engine, which is identical to the GPU one. so if you run out of memory on a shot ( doesnt fit in your video ram) you can just render it slower on CPU or send it to a farm. Without re-doing materials or anything.

Octane does seem to be all the buzz, but i really hope thea takes a solid place too, because i really prefer to use it over octane, since im not worried about running out of vram.