Sign in to follow this  
mgrvsh

AE CC 2014.2 - December Update

omg finally

expression access to dynamic layer bounds, including text layers

You can now read the rectangle bounds of a layer’s content, including the corrected bounds of a text layer, for any time in a composition. The sourceRectAtTime() method from the After Effects scripting API is now accessible in expressions as a read-only layer object attribute.

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/12/after-effects-cc-2014-2-13-2.html

It means that you can now do your own version of Wordle or kinetic typography with automatic layouts more easily plus several other calculations can be facilitated and simplified, none of which of course might have any relevance for your average Joe...

Mylenium

Well as a very simple example, you could have a rectangle shape as a text background and have it automatically resize to fit the size of your text layer.

Not as relevant to what I do now, but at my last job I used to make a lot of mograph templates for editors who didn't know AE well enough to size and fit shape layers. Previously the only way to get a text layer's size was through scripting, so this eases a lot of that.