Sign in to follow this  
vozzz

Batch PNG sequence to MOV with alpha animation codec?

i have 45 folders full of png sequences.

i need to convert them to mov files animation codec with alpha.

the files need to have the names of the folders, not the files inside. ( files inside are all the same name, ie image_###.png, so dragging folders into AE wont work)

anyone got any ideas?

Edited by vozzz

Not sure of any super automated way of doing this. You can start by batch renaming the image sequences to match for folder names by going to each folder in Adobe Bridge, selecting all the images and then running Tools > Batch Rename and setting up some rules:

Rule 1: Folder name - Original case

Rule 2: Text - underscore

Rule 3: sequence number - 0 - select number of digets

rinse and repeat

This next option will work if the image sequences are named the same as the folder with the inclusion of the sequence numbers (won't work obviously if all sequences are simply name image_[#####].png)

Use Adobe media encoder and create a preset after you setup the first one, render all .mov files to the same folder.

Open up Adobe Bridge and navigate to that output folder, select all the .mov files and then goto: Tools > Batch rename.

Setup rules to strip out the end of the name after the "_" leaving just the name without the last underscore and numbers in brackets that follow.

after select "string substitution" set the next dropdown to "Original Filename"

Make sure "use Regular Expressions" is checked

Then in the "Find" field enter the following expression: _(?!.*_)(.*)\.mov?

Leave the "Replace With" field blank

Make adjustments as needed (review the preview fields to see before and after.

thanks, but they are literally named that =)

tmXYg.jpg

Came from the farm like that.

if have to batch rename files in each folder, might as well just open them in c4d picture viewer and save as mov one at a time.

if have to batch rename files in each folder, might as well just open them in c4d picture viewer and save as mov one at a time.

To save time during the start of this process, I would use Immigration to import all of the image sequences at once into AE, since you can browse through a main directory of folders and it will find all of the sequences.

As for renaming all of them, not sure.

I've used a plugin called Immigration before in AE. Manages the import of multiple image sequences and was a God-send on a number of projects I've worked on.

It scans a folder and gives a list of sequences inside (including those in subfolder), you can set the frame rate and import within the original folder structure too. Hopefully it'll help someone now I've mentioned it.