Sign in to follow this  
formxshape

Octane hardware solution

Hi fellow mographers,

Just wondering if anyone has some insight or advice on a Octane hardware solution, preferably Mac based so as to keep my setup on all the same os.

Octane GPU rendering will be perfect for some of my personal projects, so this is going to be a home setup. I currently have a 27" iMac to use as the monitor and my budget is between £1k ~ £2k so I've been thinking about getting a used Mac Pro from ebay, perhaps a 6 core - then sticking a decent GPU card in it, or two semi good ones. Has anyone got any experience on such a set up?

I've been doing some googling, and as I'm someone who is not familiar with building PC's etc I'm totally confused by this talk of 'flashing' a GPU card etc. So some of the technical details I've read so far have been a bit off putting for someone who just wants to plug stuff in and get going. From what I've researched so far it would seem I could put a Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 inside and then use a separate power supply to power that. Am I on the right tracks with that sort of research?

Also - I see mention of Octane Cloud rendering, but apart from a mention on Octanes blog I don't see any further news/info. If that's an option I'd consider it too.

If anyone has some insights, I'd really appreciate it.

Have you seen kossome's Brograph vid's about his experience with his Mac, vid cards and Octane?

He posted them on this forum. I can't seem to find them at this moment (because i'm lazy), but do a search.

This.

Basically I've been less than impressed with the performance and stability of the faster nvidia cards on Mac, so IMHO building a custom PC is the cheapest/most bang for your buck with Octane currently. I'm actually spec'ing out our second PC for GPU rendering with Octane now...it will probably replace the 2010 MP sitting in front of me.

Adding a second PSU to a mac pro to get another gpu to work in it seemed too risky, or at least not a solution that would probably work trouble free for years to come.

For your budget, you could build a decent PC with probably 2 GPUs and use the iMac as the monitor.

Edit: Oh and about their cloud service...it looks interesting, but there have been no set arrival dates or pricing. So don't count on that yet...

Edited by jblessing

Thanks for the advice, I checked out some prices and specs on Custom build PCs and it is really appealing. Great value. Certainly could get a beast of a machine compared to the same money spent on Apple equipment.

If I go PC route, I can see it being a rendering machine only... If I went Apple route I'd get more use out of it… so that's the one consideration holding me back.