Sign in to follow this  
royalmilktea

Matte Painting Setup in After Effects

Hello!

Can anyone offer advise on a good matte painting setup in After Effects? I am trying to do something similar to a matte painting setup in Nuke (projecting matte painting layers onto spheres that encompass the scene). I would normally do this type of thing in Nuke, but the studio I'm at for this gig only has AE, so I'm stuck.

I would like to avoid using large flat solids in the background because the camera shows a very wide field of view for many shots and that can get messy pretty quick, so a true spherical solution, such as Horizon would be ideal. In fact, I've tried setting this up in Horizon, but couldn't figure out a way to get multiple layers at different distances from the camera - seems like you're stuck with one flat image at an arbitrary distance in space.

Another thought that occurred to me was to use something like Element 3D and bring in some spheres textured with my matte painting layers, but I have no experience with Element, so I wasn't sure if this would be a good solution.

Any thoughts or ideas you guys can share would be an enormous help. Thanks in advance!

A way to trick scale or distance in horizon is by making the solid size larger than your comp size and scaling from there. The parallax can be tricky using this method if layering, which you'd have to overcome with tracking / parenting trickery.

Zaxwerks layer tools may be of use as well. http://zaxwerks.com/layertools/

Yeah, you're going to need some 3D-ish plug-in like Element 3D most likely. Some issues can probably be worked around with CC Sphere, Card Dance, Trapcode Form, Mettle Freeform Pro etc. as well, though figuring out how to create displacement/ layer maps may take longer than just using a genuine 3D program...

Mylenium

TC Horizon is infinitely distant from the camera like a Sky object. There is a cheap plug-in on AEScripts called PowerSphere I think, that is a bit like CC Sphere but with more options, that may help as you can unfold the map from the sphere and hence have more-or-less curved planes. If you're trying to match anything real though you'll struggle without a proper matchmover and 3D.