Sign in to follow this  
Carey

I made a video 'bout inspiration.

Glad you're doing it. Lord knows if I could actually take in what you're saying, I'd probably move up the food chain.

I'll watch this once my horrific deadline passes... cheers pal from another dimension

Is this one any good? I never once showed it to anyone before putting it up.

You do realize people pay mountains of money to learn these sorts of things in colleges, right?

Absolutely. But I'm not competing with colleges. I'm really looking at this next one as an experiment, to see if I can just offset the cost of the time taken away from paying jobs. I still haven't figured out how to produce these any quicker, so I can't keep doing them without turning down jobs, which means I'm not breaking even. I don't want to charge the standard hefty sums, but that works out because if enough people think it's worth buying, then it can be super cheap, which is cool.

Good stuff man.

This might have been asked before, but do you teach?

Thanks, buddy. And you're welcome! I'd kind of consider this teaching. I'm sharing what I know and researching what I don't, and packaging it in the most digestible way I can (within reason).

Is this one any good? I never once showed it to anyone before putting it up.

Yeah, I think its good.

The notion of keeping a collection of inspriational images and catelogues may seem simple in and of itself, but it provides a theme and foundation for you to spill the real golden nuggets, which are purely in the explanations of the whys and rationale you walk us through. Its kind of a walking tour through your head to witness your thinking process. I think if you were to just work on some boards, a logo, or whatever and talking through it would be a great watch, but I understand the need for an anchoring theme within each video to chapter things considering the distribution of the collection. To me, what is great about your videos are more in regard to how you view and tackle design decisions and not necessarily the underlying design / art / color theory that happens to be the title of the piece.

Edited by AromaKat

Great stuff, valuable info. Nice centaur.

Re: blogs, Pinterest works for me when I'm running around in circles - I work it like an über-blog, just pump into it vaguely related terms and see what spills out. Or find something I like and see what's in the 'Related Pins' list, follow it like a bit of string until I reach something that jogs something. Or setup a bunch of themed boards, and throw stuff into them.

Interesting side note at the end - produce a project start to finish, with the aim of selling the whole series to your adoring fans. My take - great, based on what I've seen so far this will be really useful, I'm in. Not so much for the source files, project blah, but just to get an insight into how someone else's brain processes these sorts of jobs and turns chin stroking into actual pixels. Like most around here I guess, the methods I use are self-taught, constantly refined - I've got a system of sorts that mostly works for me, but there are times when I wonder if a dramatic change in how I approach a job might have a beneficial effect on what comes out - less derivative, more personal perhaps? Anything that can kick me out of a rut sounds appealing.

So, good luck getting it finished, I'll be watching. C

These vids are awesome Binky. As someone who started in vfx, i kind of missed out of all this useful, inspiration/storyboarding/composition stuff, that i should have learned in school. Love the humour in these videos aswell as the content. Thanks man

9e9.gif

Maybe put it on kickstarter? at $25 a pop it'll let you gauge interest i guess.

pateroen is also a good idea. you can make it so that you make a video every time you get a certain amount of funds.

But seriously wonderful stuff you got there! And its true, even if you know this stuff, sometimes you just kinda forget that you're meant to be doing this.. =)

Another amazing video. Thanks Binky!

You could also think about Skillshare. I have no ideia how much money you can make there, but for now it is lacking on motion graphics related classes.

That said, selling your videos without any affiliation is probably the best idea right now. (As an example, Louis CK now sells his recorded shows online at 5 bucks.)

Thanks again.

Another thing that came to mind, Binky: so you separate the general reference pile from the other pieces of work you totally love? You save these "masterpieces" but, when trying to get inspiration for a job, you just use you general reference pile? I've been using Pinterest to collect things in different "boards", but I'm starting to thing that ONE general pile might be the best way to allow cross-polination of references and ideas...

Yeah, pinterest is great. And you're right, I think if I used pinterest, or anything similar, I'd still put everything in one big pile for exactly the reason you mentioned. The random find is usually more valuable than pigeonholing. That said, I do have some small collections that are oriented to more specific interests. Things I just like to look at more regularly, usually because I'm trying to figure them out.

And I'm glad you liked it! I figure this one was mostly obvious stuff, but stuff we all need to be reminded of when we hit a rut, cuz you know it happens.