Sign in to follow this  
foughtthelaw

Matthew Law - Showreel 2015

The 2015 update is my first since going freelance. Tried to keep it to mostly new stuff, short, and only show the kind of work I want to do. Also included a site facelift (still in progress).

As always, feedback encouraged and appreciated.

Looks great.

In the other thread, it sounded like you wanted to drop the UI previz work, but it really comes across as a futuristic UI VFX reel for theatrical rather than pre-viz for a software company. You may want to do different types of work, but I don't think you need to be concerned about perceived quality or anything like that.

Who the hell am I to judge, but the last shot of the girl punching cubes of cubes is fairly lackluster compared to everything else. If you must keep it, maybe stick it somewhere in the middle, sandwiched between the rest of the awesomeness so its more forgotten within the context of the whole piece. There also seems to be a flash frame between the greatness shortcuts and the name card sequence, which only seems erroneous to me because its 2 frames, with different picture on each frame (I think one frame is a virgin mary and the other is a giant face but I'm having trouble freezing the video on that frame in Vimeo). If it was an intentional effect, like on the intro, maybe look into extending the effect a bit longer so it registers as an effect better, or add some glitch sound like you did in the beginning to help enforce the effect better. Or you can just tell me to fuck off, and that it is already the way it should be :-)

Edited by AromaKat

Looks great.

In the other thread, it sounded like you wanted to drop the UI previz work, but it really comes across as a futuristic UI VFX reel for theatrical rather than pre-viz for a software company. You may want to do different types of work, but I don't think you need to be concerned about perceived quality or anything like that.

Who the hell am I to judge, but the last shot of the girl punching cubes of cubes is fairly lackluster compared to everything else. If you must keep it, maybe stick it somewhere in the middle, sandwiched between the rest of the awesomeness so its more forgotten within the context of the whole piece. There also seems to be a flash frame between the greatness shortcuts and the name card sequence, which only seems erroneous to me because its 2 frames, with different picture on each frame (I think one frame is a virgin mary and the other is a giant face but I'm having trouble freezing the video on that frame in Vimeo). If it was an intentional effect, like on the intro, maybe look into extending the effect a bit longer so it registers as an effect better, or add some glitch sound like you did in the beginning to help enforce the effect better. Or you can just tell me to fuck off, and that it is already the way it should be :-)

For starters, thanks for the kind words. I probably came off somewhat disparaging because I suffer from the overwhelming familiarity of the work that plagues everyone. I have a really hard time getting past how cool some of this stuff could of been. I'm certainly proud of the work but as always most of it wasn't so much finished as abandoned.

The glitchy effect was to intentionally try to get people to pick through it for hidden shit. I'm kinda glad that worked. I've had several people tell me it looks like a mistake but that they went back to look at it. All the frames are just heavily glitched out frames from projects in the reel. the "virgin mary" is actually block girl just warped to shit. The only thing that's not from a project is the face which is actually my passport photo, again heavily distorted.

I'm not actively hunting new work at the moment. This was more an exercise in personal branding and just getting my name out there. I consider people frame fucking my reel a victory at this point.

Wow great reel! I tend to agree with Aromakat on the girl punching blocks but overall this is really impressive work. I love your techy motion tracked graphics. Im also a sucker for sexy intro/ outro plates. Well done

Thanks man! You and Aromakat are onto something w/ the block girl. My first edit of this reel was twice as long as the final but it included LOTS of work from my old agency job (i.e. 2.5+ years old) and in spite of the fact that I like that work still I made a "kill your darlings" decision and got rid of all of it....except the block girl. That was sort of the apex of my Ad agency job as I saw it. I literally did everything on that project from pre-pro to directing the shoot to post to color. it was a quick turn around and I had limited resources so it doesn't have the finesse of some of my longer term projects but it's the one project that lets me talk about my complete range of skills.

also, I was the director....and directors are egotistical and like talking about how they're directors. so I kept it.

Edited by foughtthelaw

My first edit of this reel was twice as long as the final but it included LOTS of work from my old agency job

I literally did everything on that project from pre-pro to directing the shoot to post to color. it was a quick turn around and I had limited resources so it doesn't have the finesse of some of my longer term projects but it's the one project that lets me talk about my complete range of skills.

also, I was the director....and directors are egotistical and like talking about how they're directors. so I kept it.

I hear ya! I think I cut my reel about 23 times to 12 different songs trying to hack out sub-par work. :wacko: Its a struggle, but you are totally right, the process is just as important as the final product. Having that project as a talking point to explain how you can manage a project soup to nuts on a tight deadline is super valuable.

Great work

Nice Reel. You have some really great work in there.

The only thing I could say is get rid of filler material and only showcase your best work. I think the reel should be a bit shorter anyways,

Maybe if you take out the girl punching cubes scene and back to the future shots and things like that that are not as mind blowing as your other work it will look a lot better.