Sign in to follow this  
Todd Kopriva

Mac OSX users: If you are still using Mac OSX v10.8, let me know.

Mac OSX users: If you are still using Mac OSX v10.8 (as opposed to 10.9 or 10.10), let me know, and gives details about why.

We're trying to determine what operating systems people are using and---more important---why some people are still on the older version.

I'm running it at home. Partially out of laziness. Partially because I like the way 10.8 works / looks. I enjoy having color labels in finder that actually cover the entire file and being able to just "save as" the way one expects w/o having to make exceptions for apple's weird duplication system. Also, I tend to upgrade stuff when I see an advantage to doing so and I haven't seen anything in OSX that makes me feel like it's worth it. In truth the only reason I moved to 10.7 was because AE was no longer supported.

But, mostly out of laziness.

i'm on 10.8 because i have to be, apple broke quartz in 10.9 and i'm not going to10.10 yet as it was months before people found out what was wrong last time.

my rmbp came with 10.8 and it's less than a year and a half old

i'm sorry apple are making it hard for you with its fast turn around but i'm not upgrading till i have to/i buy new hardware and apple force me.

they are upgrading too fast and it sucks why would i go though working out what they broke every year?

10.9 because the old Mac Pro has 3rd party SSD's that need Trim Enabler, which is defunct in 10.10

There is some utility that partially fixes the colour labels thing, I seem to remember.

10.9 because the old Mac Pro has 3rd party SSD's that need Trim Enabler, which is defunct in 10.10

I run Trim Enabler, when I upgraded to 10.10 it gave me a a prompt asking if I wanted to fix the kext files. I said "sure" and its been running fine ever since.

edit: I'm on a Mac Pro 4,1 running an OWC PCI SSD.

Edited by ianfreeze

I'm on 10.10 and wish I were on 10.8

But I'm not upgrading from CS6 until it's something I can have and not rent, so... y'know... nevermind. ;)

I swear we are going into a dark age of software. everywhere i look things are getting worse.

And yeah, sometimes i think it may be me getting old and bitter, but at the same time. simple things like voice chat used to work flawlessly for me, through skype, gmail chat( browser and phone), facebook video chat. Now they all have problems. on some computers one thing doesn't work, on others other things. like no audio, or no video, or massive echo.

Same thing goes for various websites. Like pinterest for example. that was a perfect website for collecting stuff. It worked quickly, had a great app, which was also nice and snappy and had super smooth navigation. Now with every release they keep adding stuff, changing stuff and just making it worse to use. It seems like they have a lot of developers on staff who need to be doing something, so they get them to develop new features, that really no one needs. ( like chat). And to make sure i recently went at got an old version of the app and installed that. and Wow! it works so much nicer than the current version.

dont even get me started on c4d ;)

But it just seems like a general trend... where something gets developed to a point where its great, and then it gets overdeveloped...

The only thing thats steadily getting better is the Battlefield franchise... i have no idea how they are doing it, but every iteration is just more and more polished ( minus some launch day problems)

and android is getting better. And 3d coat. Ok i guess some things are getting better. And windows 8. Love that waay more than win7 ( minus metro stuff, they put in some really nice stuff).

but i swear "overdevelopment" should be a term. And companies at some point should just declare an end to active development and just keep stuff up to date and functional. like MacOS for example. I dont see why they keep updating it. Everyone seems to just love it... why break a good thing... ( especially killing the space bar instant preview).

But it just seems like a general trend... where something gets developed to a point where its great, and then it gets overdeveloped..

It all comes down to marketing, it's a lot easier to market a new feature, rather than improved performance.

Maybe I am getting old and slow but I don't even have time to look at the the new features that are constantly being thrown at me in all the software I use, I am just busy trying to bang out all the work I need to get done in a day, and the only thing that really impacts that is the less sexy under the hood improvements.

The only software release I can remember in the last two years where I was really like hells yeah for a new feature, was timeline editing in resolve.

I swear we are going into a dark age of software. everywhere i look things are getting worse.

On one of the latest updates of AE they changed a lot of the UI to blue highlights. I've found it really difficult to focus on certain areas of the interface or my biggest gripe is not knowing if my keyframes are selected or not.

Blue Ages.

Edited by deceasar

10.8.5 on all my MacPro 5,1 workstations. Set it and forget it is my mantra - I can't be spending time playing whack-a-mole with updates... I've got 10.10.1 on my admin laptops and it works fine for me, and I do get spacebar previews on Quicktimes so not sure what the issue is as described above about lack of spacebar playback...

Personally, I really like the blue accents in the new Ae; and while I was dragged kicking and screaming into renting my tools in the Adobe cloud, it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be - just need to be very judicious on my software version updates.

On one of the latest updates of AE they changed a lot of the UI to blue highlights. I've found it really difficult to focus on certain areas of the interface or my biggest gripe is not knowing if my keyframes are selected or not.

Blue Ages.

This should be an option, seriously. I'd change it to white. Also having problems with the keyframe selection visibility.

Agree with the general consensus of this thread, what's the point of spending time on this stuff when it just goes and gets bunged up all the time.

...and I do get spacebar previews on Quicktimes so not sure what the issue is as described above about lack of spacebar playback...

If you still render to Animation codec, you don't get preview. If you render to ProRes or other modern codecs, everything is fine. ProRes 4444 is a great codec, theres no reason (that I can think of, in my admittedly limited experience other than broadcast delivery) why one would still need to use animation codec.

If you still render to Animation codec, you don't get preview. If you render to ProRes or other modern codecs, everything is fine. ProRes 4444 is a great codec, theres no reason (that I can think of, in my admittedly limited experience other than broadcast delivery) why one would still need to use animation codec.

Avid-based editorial that uses a DNx workflow doesn't work. DNxHD isn't supported. ProRes is a good codec, but I haven't seen any ProRes based editorial in quite a while.

10.8.5 … been burned in the past with bugs in OS, AE, and plugins. I don't upgrade unless forced to or I have a huge chunk of down time (which is never since the recession).

Also, I have Blackmagic hardware and I believe they are shipped with microscopic gremlin eggs embedded inside that awaken and hatch whenever you upgrade AE, Premiere, or your OS.

The color label thing is also a big deal for me… funny reading it mentioned so many times on here, I thought I was the only weirdo on earth who cared about that.

Edited by jaan

Maybe I am getting old and slow but I don't even have time to look at the the new features that are constantly being thrown at me in all the software I use, I am just busy trying to bang out all the work I need to get done in a day, and the only thing that really impacts that is the less sexy under the hood improvements.

Amen to that. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing all the same, after all...

Mylenium

10.8.5 for us at work and at home. Simply no compelling reason to upgrade. The preview function is one of the top things OSX has/had going for it, so I see no reason to leave that behind in all the later OS updates.

I should also say that the next planned OS update involves moving to Windows 8.1, not a newer Mac.